a niggly pop-up problem-now a reason found

p;3 01:38 09 Jun 2005

click here have just found this thread having been in terrible computer problems with other issues and fully believed that I had picked up an infection while surfing around many adresses trying to sort my problems out; octals entry is that which I am seeing ;

I have already run full scans trying to find what I thought was an infection; how I deal with this thing remains to be literally seen :((

The Spires 08:23 09 Jun 2005

click here Freeware.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:09 09 Jun 2005

As has been written many times you can use one of the many pop-up blockers (Google etc.), use Avant browser click here, which I think is a better browser than IE or pay a subscription. It would be nice if people clicked on the adverts occasionally.

G

p;3 10:17 09 Jun 2005

I have actually got a pop-up stopper on here; my main concern last night (this morning) was that I had got a virus or sumunt on here after all the sites I had had to visit to sort out my owm pc probem over the past few days; and I ran all my scans and even did a log for checking; I have changed some settings in IE and am testing things out to see how well I have sorted this; I am not going into the ads question; my worry was that I had a trojan or sumunt on here; and I am pleased to have found threads describing the issue; I have been away from PCA for several days while sorting my own pc problem out; then logged in to get this , and started running all my scans :)))

p;3 15:31 09 Jun 2005

I have managed to tweek my Guard IE and so far so good::)

leo49 15:37 09 Jun 2005

That's put all our minds at rest....

p;3 16:03 09 Jun 2005

click here is an address from where Guardwall can be obtained; I have the GuardIE version on here and it can be tweeked ;
just a suggestion if anyone is interested:)

so far .....

Ancient Learner 19:46 09 Jun 2005

Let me be right about this. Does GANDALF <|:-)>'s appeal for people to click on adverts mean that a click earns money for 'our' site, if so, I see no reason not to spend a couple of moments clicking on all that we can see, after all, if it means that it continues, it is in a good cause.

Similar to the appeal a few months back about clicking on a link for breast cancer research as I remember.

p;3 19:59 09 Jun 2005

yes; I follow your "argument" up to a point; my question would be, what is one clicking on and for whose benefit?

Ancient Learner 21:13 09 Jun 2005

I would assume the benefit is for the publishers, who have to spend some of their billion profit maintaining this site. I say a billion, because it seems that nowadays a business that doesn't produce such vast sums is deemed to be a failure, at least that is how the greedy financiers and banks report it.

VoG II 21:51 09 Jun 2005

Remember Robert Maxwell?

Get clicking folks - the FE's pension may be at stake!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?