Nice work if you can get it!

TOPCAT® 16:59 15 May 2006

Software piracy not only deprives publishers of revenue but apparently lines the pockets of some in the legal profession too, from the taxpayer.

Ever get the feeling you qualified in the wrong profession? ;o) TC.

click here

SG Atlantis® 17:04 15 May 2006

So we pay higher prices because of theft, then we pay to defend the thieves in court.

I love those thieves.

SG Atlantis® 17:07 15 May 2006

As for solicitor fees. I won a claim against an owner of a vicous dog, my solictior earned a lot more than I recieved compensation.

Great stuff.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:21 15 May 2006

'then we pay to defend the thieves in court'...thankfully, in the UK, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

G

Totally-braindead 17:29 15 May 2006

What a shame you couldn't recoup the costs off them. I'm sure someone will slag me for this but if you're found guilty I personally think you should be liable for the legal fees.

Don't know if theres much point in it as I presume you couldn't collect as they would have no money but something has to be done about some of the ridiculous cases going to court.

Forum Editor 17:35 15 May 2006

that some people will look at the legal aid fees paid to lawyers and in some cases think them excessive. That's something for parliament to address - if they feel the system is paying to highly in some circumstances they have the power to impose limits.

We have to be careful however. We live in a society that has decided it will pay the legal costs of those people who are financially unable to defend themselves when faced with prosecutions for certain (not all) offences. This is because - as has already been said - we believe that an accused person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. We must not deny such people the right to defend themselves, even if it means that we end up paying for the lawyers out of the public purse.

If we place strict limits on what we'll pay then we run the risk that lawyers will be uninterested in legal aid work, and will decline to accept it, and that could mean that innocent people are undefended - or poorly defended - and may suffer as a result.

I'm not defending the size of some legal fees, but I am defending the system that pays them. In my opinion the legal aid system is one of the better law reforms of the 20th century.

TOPCAT® 18:03 15 May 2006

but, in this supposedly affluent society of ours, these costs to the Public Purse have been spiralling to heady heights. There was talk some time ago of the government looking into this but, like several announcements of late, seem to have been put on the back burner.

Of course, let the state help those in genuine need but I do think a honest and fair review is long overdue on legal aid. TC.

Forum Editor 18:15 15 May 2006

that a legal aid review is something of a poisoned chalice in political terms. Undoubtedly there has been abuse of the system - although I'm not suggesting that's the case here - and undoubtedly there's a need for some kind of review, but where would you start? It's an incredibly complex problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone