Nice timing, Cherie.

newman35 08:56 10 May 2008

What a great moment to publish, and sounds like the knife is really being twisted.
click here

Poor Gordon, one thing after another.

Forum Editor 09:00 10 May 2008

is not anything personal"

I never considered it was, not for a single moment, Cherie.

beeuuem 09:54 10 May 2008

The little that I saw gave a good indication of who wears the trousers in the Blair household and, by extension, who was really running the country during his time in office.

bremner 10:00 10 May 2008

This book was originally scheduled for publication in October.

Can you blame the publishers for bringing that date forward to cash in, whilst the public flogging of GB and New Labour is at such levels.

Snec 10:49 10 May 2008

She may of course be a very nice person but, to me, she appears as a spiteful, vindictive, greedy, charmless control freak.

rickf 10:56 10 May 2008

don't doubt for one moment she is a "nice person". nothing worse than a woman's scorn. not being sexist here. some of the best stereotypes and cliches are often true!!

iambeavis 11:13 10 May 2008

If her husband is 'secretly advising Brown' he's making a very poor job of it, so she might be better off keeping quiet about it rather than advertising his inadequacies as an advisor.

Cymro. 11:38 10 May 2008

"She may of course be a very nice person but, to me, she appears as a spiteful, vindictive, greedy, charmless control freak".

She is also a very well educated and clever woman with a successful career of her own. It is just that her P.R. is very poor and once the media get a bee in their bonnet about someone they don`t know when to stop.

Snec 12:46 10 May 2008

"..... once the media get a bee in their bonnet about someone they don`t know when to stop".

I agree with you about that.

Cymro. 13:09 10 May 2008

There are many people in public life that I have very little regard for, people in the entertainment industry, politicians, certain members of the Royal Family, etc. etc.

But once the media get their knives out for them I strangely find my sympathy grows towards the celebrity rather than the press who are all out to destroy them.

Forum Editor 13:42 10 May 2008

and say that you have little regard for them, but that's largely because you learn quite a bit about them. You might well have very little regard for the person who sits at your supermarket checkout if you knew him or her, but you don't.

Being famous can be a kind of living hell for some people - especially if they're really famous because of their partner's job. They find their lives under the media microsocope, their privacy destroyed. These people usually haven't sought fame, it has been thrust upon them, and it often happens almost overnight - they have no time to prepare, or to arm themselves against the unforgiving glare of public curiosity. They make mistakes, and are pilloried for it, and they have to suffer the agony of reading complete rubbish about themselves in papers and magazines.

I have no idea whether Cherie Blair is a nice person or not, because I've never met her. I've seen her on TV, and read articles about her, but that doesn't equip me to make a real judgment. I know she's a very clever, well-respected lawyer, and that she has a tendency to express herself in robust terms, but that applies to lots of people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017