NHS Hospitals Failing To Properly Care For Elderly Patients

johndrew 14:39 13 Oct 2011
Answered

I don't know about anyone else, but this sends shivers up my spine.

What has happened to the caring side of nursing? Is it all down to better qualification and less natural ability? Or is everything down to money and administration?

dikul 15:01 13 Oct 2011

johndrew I broadly agree with your sentiments, however, I have just heard on our local radio tht one of my local NHS trusts is looking to change nurses' hours to a standard 12 hour shift with one 20 minute break after 6 hours and no other time allowed for coffee/tea breaks. That way they reckon that they can meet the deficit reduction budget by using just over half as many qualified nursing staff and asking the relatives to look after the non medical needs of the patients, such as feeding and washing.

Aitchbee 16:44 13 Oct 2011
Answer

I think I do not want to grow old!

johndrew 20:11 13 Oct 2011

"I think I do not want to grow old!"

A bit late for some of us!!!

Mr Mistoffelees 21:13 13 Oct 2011

I firmly believe the vast majority of nurses are trying hard to do their best under difficult working conditions.

Woolwell 21:49 13 Oct 2011

I thought that this quote in the Telegraph summed it up: "Task-focused care is not person-centred care. Often what is needed is kindness and compassion, which cost nothing."

LanceAlot 09:31 14 Oct 2011

We've all known for a few years that the elderly in some hospitals have been not only malnourished but dehydrated too. And they've died as a result. So to see the head of the Royal College of Nursing say this isn't acceptable and changes have to be made to me is totally unacceptable.

Why hasn't she done anything about it? Why hasn't she been screaming and shouting about these conditions. Nothing has been done to change this appalling situation for years and yet it still continues.

Even if she isn't directly responsible she has the authority to pressurise those that can make the changes. We need to get rid of her and put someone competant in charge.

Aitchbee 12:25 14 Oct 2011

My friend, who has been a nurse for 25 years,in the Mansionhouse Hospital, in the south-side of Glasgow - and knows what she's talking about - said to me, that if you have an old relative who needs care, hospitalization is not a good option, if possible they should be cared for in their own home. I have four elderly neighbours, who get looked after in their own homes, and they are all the better for it.They have a key safe outside their doors to let the carers in; it has a combination lock with a secret 4-digit number.

Woolwell 12:32 14 Oct 2011

I wonder if we were to spend a little more on social services assisting the elderly with mobility and nutrition, conversation, etc then we would have fewer elderly in hospital requiring expensive treatment? Unfortunately the overall picture is rarely looked at.

johndrew 12:34 14 Oct 2011

Mr Mistoffelees

Whilst I agree there are many very competent and caring nurses and doctors in the NHS, there are those who view their function simply as being present to do a job. This, at least in part, seems to cause a huge problem for patients.

Additionally there is the type of lack of observation/consideration mentioned by fourm member above. If such had occurred in the days of a Hattie Jacques type Matron all hell would have broken loose. Today it could easily result in death.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:24 14 Oct 2011

johndrew

My partner worked in a small cottage hospital, as the chef/dietician, for about 20 years. She is firmly of the opinion that we need to see a return to the old style matron in charge of wards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?