NHS Dentists (or lack of them)

Chegs ®™ 15:43 15 Oct 2007

I shuddered at the thought of people using screwdrivers and superglue to perform their own medieval dental treatment,as detailed on the news this morning.This is because people are unable to stump up for private treatment and the nationwide shortage of NHS dentists.I must count myself very lucky as I have an NHS dentist(albeit a woman from poland,who I believe was brought in specifically to ease this crisis locally)despite years without visiting a dentist as I found the experiences traumatic as a child and resulting in abject fear.I was finally driven to seek a dentist when numerous abscesses formed under the many damaged teeth and I couldnt eat or sleep due to the pain.I initially was given "emergency" treatment locally that eased the pain temporarily but told I would have to travel upto 120 miles to obtain an NHS dentist.The present dentist I'm under was treating my daughter and this was how I discovered she had room "on her books" to take me.

Who in authority could the finger of blame be pointed? The government/NHS/or elsewhere?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:08 15 Oct 2007

Here is a scenario...you are a dentist
that can earn £50k-£60k click here (I realise that there have been reports of higher earnings but this is not the norm) on the NHS, or £150K private, for less hours (starting pay for a junior private dentist is £95K click here) ...what would you do?

G

Quickbeam 16:12 15 Oct 2007

A dental holiday to Poland. My accountant is married to a Polish girl, who has a cousin that's a dentist.

sunny staines 16:16 15 Oct 2007

no shortage round here, loads of dentists, but its the waiting times, had to wait 4 weeks earlier this year for painful root work.

realist 17:10 15 Oct 2007

As reported by CNN!
click here

citadel 19:20 15 Oct 2007

the dentists were happy to do nhs work before their contracts were changed by the government.

SB23 20:30 15 Oct 2007

What I want to know, is what do me and the wife do in the mean time if we continue not to be able to find an NHS dentist?

I'm not interested in who's to blame, we just need a dentist.

spuds 20:45 15 Oct 2007

I notice some fool of a politician was stating this evening on television " That things are not as bad as people make out.We have more dentist's now, than we had twelve months ago".

The dentist still doing NHS work around our way, have had closed books for ages. Plenty of private dentist still taking on patients though.

Whatever the reason or cause, looking at the dentist's own car parking lot's, and the car's parked there.Money doesn't seem to be a problem.

Chegs ®™ 23:10 15 Oct 2007

So,taking the post from gandalph re:earnings.

I would (if I were a dentist) choose to go private as thats where the money is.

The problem is though,some years ago there were a multitude of NHS dentists.When did the dental practitioners decide to switch to private practice and more importantly why? What changed within the NHS to create this present situation?

The NHS is constantly under fire in the press lately,filthy hospitals,refusing drugs to folk in england yet if they lived in scotland they'd receive them there,more administrators than qualified nursing staff,etc.My mother worked in the NHS throughout her working life,and one of the reasons she chose early retirement was the needless restructuring of pay and hours which would have meant a reduction in her earnings for longer hours.

Each successive government has came to power with promises of improvements to the NHS,yet it has become obvious that these "promises" haven't materialised and in many areas the NHS service has worsened.Not due to the hardworking medical staff,but the decrease in funding leading to poor hygiene and less medical staff,also the withdrawl of drugs to some for no other reason but cost(but it seems the scottish NHS dont concern themselves with the drug cost)

SB: I was given a URL that provides people seeking NHS dentists with a list of practices that will take on new clients,only for me it would have required travelling to Blackpool or Newcastle.Fortunately,I phoned the few practices I found and saved myself a wasted journey as the website information was several weeks out of date and their books were full.I would provide you with the URL to try yourself only its in the favourites on my desktop at home and I'm posting from my laptop elsewhere.

spuds 12:46 16 Oct 2007

Chegs, if you dig deep enough, you can find most things including the information (some out of date!) that you suggest click here

Taking in the point about filthy hospitals etc, I notice that the usual remedy nowadays if for someone to offer their resignation. If accepted, then a fairly large severance package is usually agreed. Three Chief Executive's of hospital trusts are at that level today, one I note as had her severance deal placed on hold by the government, due to possible further legal actions.

Returning back to the subject of dentist. I notice that in the survey, people are still not fully satisfied with the services being provided after going private. Call me a cynic, but I have yet to see someone who as had a substantial wage increase, who have actually increased their working hours or capacity. Most of the dentist who have gone private around our way, also reduced their working hours. I wonder why!.

anchor 13:01 16 Oct 2007

I would imagine that the UK Dental Schools are still turning out qualified dentists.

Perhaps some of them could be employed by local health authorities to provide a NHS dental treatment at local clinics. The scope for them to open, or work at, private practises must surely be limited.

If the situation for dentists is similar to that of new doctors, then many probably have difficulty in finding jobs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone