Newport passport office Closing!

Uboat 22:03 08 Oct 2010

Just thought id let you all know about this, There are also fears passport interview offices in Swansea, Wrexham, Newport and Aberystwyth could close... Worrying isnt it..

click here

Forum Editor 23:17 08 Oct 2010

for those who will lose their jobs, but there are six other passport offices, and we're in an economic hole - there will be more cuts in the coming months.

spuds 23:35 08 Oct 2010

With the government's wanting to go on-line for everything, then expect more closures are in the pipe-line.

We use to have a well used and successful DVLA/VOSPA office in our hometown. Now the nearest office is 60 miles away, with more added expenses for the customer who require simple vehicle inspections.In this particular circumstance, I cannot understand why the inspection work as not been turned over to local MOT stations.

Devil Fish 23:44 08 Oct 2010

worrying why?
i dont like to see people loosing jobs but working in the private sector i have seen this for the past couple of years

sadly their will be a lot more to come over the coming months and years

but the thing that really annoys me is people scream and shout about public sector employees loosing their jobs

i dont hear these people shouting when johnny down the local bakers looses his job i dont hear these people shouting when fred looses his job at the local supermarket i dont hear these people screaming for Frank when his car parts firm goes to the wall. But they all perform a function in society

The fact of reality is at the moment this country is in a dire financial mess cuts need making and sadly yes job losses will follow

and before i get bombarded my job is far from safe at the moment but if it does go i won't sulk i will pick myself up and move on which is exactly what is needed from everybody in this country at the moment time private or public sector

less sulking and more doing

Colin 12:36 09 Oct 2010

"i dont hear these people shouting when johnny down the local bakers looses his job i dont hear these people shouting when fred looses his job at the local supermarket i dont hear these people screaming for Frank when his car parts firm goes to the wall. But they all perform a function in society"

Actually, you do, but it's usually local news not national. Think of a light aircraft crash where one person dies at a small airfield compared to a 747 with 300 people on board crashing at Heathrow airport. Which one would get the most publicity?

spuds 12:53 09 Oct 2010

I fully agree with your sentiments entirely. All to often the public sector or civil servants seem to want themselves as a very special case, when others are having the same burdens placed among them with little readdress.

I note public sector 'pension rights' are now in the news, and some of the poor lambs are regarding that they are being taken to slaughter. I have not had an increase in my private pension for two years now, but I like many others have to accept the inevitable of the worlds financial disasters, which in some possibilities were partly caused by the public sector servants.

One thing in this particular issue, is the fact that most of the people who work in the passport offices are agents or contractors to the crown, and not direct employees.

jakimo 12:53 09 Oct 2010

Goes to show they were overstaffed in the first place

Mike D 13:46 09 Oct 2010

I agree with the sentiments posted above, in that we do need to curb costs. However I do find it annoying to hear civil servants constantly berated for having cushy jobs and good pensions as if this is the main cause of the budget deficit.

My wife will get a pension of just over £5000 pa from her full time civil service job (22 years total, but broken, service, not in a highly paid job). She has also known for some time that the department is overstaffed, but that is not her, or her colleagues, fault. What are they expected to have done, voluntarily left their jobs in advance of spending reviews and cuts?

As with the banks, those responsible for the levels of staffing and the methods of working will either not be affected by any cuts or they will get high levels of redundancy/pensions.

morddwyd 20:03 09 Oct 2010

That'll be another 300 votes for the Welsh Nats then.

If they get enough perhaps they'll have their own Passport Office.

That won't pay the mortgages of those 300 though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?