New Years Eve traditions dyeing off. Did you used to….

Blackhat 00:50 01 Jan 2015

Open you door at midnight and greet the neighbour’s with a happy new year?

From childhood I always remember this tradition, later in life I continued to do so. I have lived in the same house now for 25 years on a side street and I saw many neighbours each year to begin with. I still open my front door to this day to wish a happy new year but I have not seen a single neighbour to greet for the last 10 years!

Tonight I saw a door open at 12:02 a few doors up to receive a pizza delivery, how times have changed.

rdave13 01:06 01 Jan 2015

Yes as it's now an American trend of Halloween that has taken the traditional British traditions of celebrating the New Year down the plughole. We used to have 'clenig' for the children. On new years' day they used to go out chanting a song and sweets as well as coins were given even by the local Banks. It stopped by 12 o'clock midday strictly.

Daylight and child safety, though, looks to be dead in the water now, sadly.

wee eddie 04:34 01 Jan 2015

Once upon a time all ones friends and family lived in the same road, maybe the adjacent road or the same village.

These traditional things died when your friends and relations were scattered to the four winds, frequently miles away, even hundreds of miles away.

The Second World War was really the beginning of the end. People moved off the land and into towns to find jobs and those jobs rarely lasted more than a few years. So they moved again.

morddwyd 07:00 01 Jan 2015

Exactly the opposite for me.

At home in Wales NYE was nothing special, NYD was a normal working day so pubs shut at 10/30/11.00 as usual and usually in bed by 11.

We had a Scotswoman who lived across the road and she always came out at midnight and banged two dustbin lids together, which we regarded as a harmless eccentricity, if a damned nuisance!

All this other stuff is new to me.

Quickbeam 08:29 01 Jan 2015

I would blame the introduction of low decibel wheelie bin lids for killing that eccentric custom off...

Aitchbee 10:47 01 Jan 2015

At Hogmany ... my Mum would take out a special bottle she kept at the back of the display-cabinet and dowse us all with holy-water just when the peeling of the church bells could be heard through an open window, ringing-in-the-New-Year.

spuds 12:09 01 Jan 2015

Times have certainly changed, and so as the climate and four seasons. Not forgetting also, how other religions,faiths or gender's have introduced their festivals into the British way of celebration throughout the year.

Yesterday in my location was very quiet, except for a few fireworks being let off from about 8.30pm, and at midnight just the odd one or two, which was very surprising considering what happened a year or more back. We did have some young people screaming around the area in a small "go-faster car", at about 3.30am for about 5/10 minutes, with a very noisy presence, which no doubt woke up a few resident's. I suppose it was their way of celebrating the joys of the New Year, and letting everyone know it!.

Regarding the tradition of opening the door, I still recall the days, when the housewife use to put a small piece of coal, a similar piece of wood, and a coin under the front or rear step leading into an house, just before the New Year commenced. I wonder how many modern housewives or partner's would still know of that past tradition.

bumpkin 12:22 01 Jan 2015

The age old tradition of staying up half the night and drinking too much I have refrained from for many years. Not wishing to be called a miserable old git yet again I made the effort this year. Great stuff, can't remember the last time I felt this ill:-)

spuds 12:30 01 Jan 2015

Bumpkin

Staying up half the night drinking wasn't a tradition, just a natural thing for some people. I suppose you can still say the same, since the licensing laws changed to 'open all hours'.

Some of us have to stay strictly TT, with the amount of medication we take daily. A little Harveys Bristol Cream or Ballycastle might not go amiss though, on the very rare occasion!.

wee eddie 12:47 01 Jan 2015

First Footin A lump of Coal, a piece of Shortbread and a wee Dram ~ Tablet for the kiddies ~ "Lang may yer lumb reek"

bumpkin 12:53 01 Jan 2015

I would take an Alka Seltzer if they were not so noisy:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?