New Server

laurie53 05:50 05 May 2007

While teething problems are quite normal, am I being hypercritical in thinking the new server has made things slightly worse?

€dstowe 06:52 05 May 2007

I am finding the site slightly worse than before the changeover as well.

octal 07:40 05 May 2007

It must be something external, like one of the adverts slowing it down. I'm using Elinks text browser at the moment and the site is loading instantly.

Forum Editor 09:05 05 May 2007

is well in excess of the previous server, although there have been some problems associated with the code. They have been resolved one by one as they cropped up - some of them haven't been apparent as far as forum users are concerned.

WhiteTruckMan 10:38 05 May 2007

the 'no active threads' message, and its starting to be irksome that I seem to be the only one.

WTM

Forum Editor 10:41 05 May 2007

Most odd. I haven't heard from anyone else who recives that message - I certainly haven't ever seen it myself.

WhiteTruckMan 10:49 05 May 2007

Have you seen the screenshot I refer to on this thread?

click here

WTM

p;3 11:08 05 May 2007

slow too for me too and I see this with no ads

rodriguez 11:14 05 May 2007

Most of the time it runs as normal for me - I can see what the FE means about code problems though after seeing WhiteTruckMan's no active threads problem. The only bit of bad code I had was on the forum's home page under the News column, where instead of the picture being there it had some underlined text that said "Picture goes here" or something like that. But that's the only thing I've had with it apart from the server going down and not being able to log on completely. I'm using FF2 with Adblock and McAfee SiteAdvisor as well, but I don't know if some of the problems are being caused by a combination of people's browsers and/or settings and the site's code.

Forum Editor 11:26 05 May 2007

Yes, I've seen it, but have no idea why it's being generated.

In theory there should be no difference between the site running on one server and it running on another - except a speed increase. Unfortunately, with big sites and backend databases things don't always go that smoothly. Presumably you've done all the obvious things like clearing your browser cache, and your cookie cache, logging out and logging back in?

WhiteTruckMan 11:34 05 May 2007

Done all the simple things first. Purely because they are simple. I even temporarily shut down firewall and all other protection, with no effect. But the problem persists on 3 different machines anyhow. The screenshot you saw was from a laptop,but its the same with others. I might add that its a problem only on speakers corner. Never seen it on any other forum. But that may just be luck.

WTM

(puzzled)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017