New Poll

ade.h 13:55 31 Jan 2006

Interesting subject, since the Network section is busier than ever before with people who are struggling through the mire of wireless problems.

When it works, it works brilliantly, and yet so many people seem to suffer problems - and wifi probs seem to be the hardest to pin down.

Unusually, I was the first voter on this one, so in the absence of other opinions, do YOU think that wireless networking is a fantastic revelation, or a damp squib that doesn't warrant all the fuss?

I'm in the former camp.

Forum Editor 14:02 31 Jan 2006

Your vote registered about one minute after I put the poll online.

ade.h 14:06 31 Jan 2006

Pure chance, FE!

ade.h 15:11 31 Jan 2006

I see that 6.3% of you - at time of writing - think that wireless is insecure.

Which must mean that some of you have not yet discovered how to secure a network!!

I think the FE would say "go stand in the corner!"

Forum Editor 15:35 31 Jan 2006

securing a wireless network is easy when you know how, but so are lots of things.

Anyone who wants to secure a wireless network will get all the help he/she needs in our Networking forum.

tasslehoff burrfoot 16:22 31 Jan 2006

I chose the "wonderful" option.

And I'm probably going to open a can of worms here, but I really don't think it's possible to secure a wireless network. Without a wire :)

Forum Editor 16:39 31 Jan 2006

It's possible to secure a wireless network so that it's as secure as possible.

tasslehoff burrfoot 16:44 31 Jan 2006

Ha Ha.

I would agree with that

ade.h 16:51 31 Jan 2006

Nicely put, FE.

(And of course, those who are lacking security will get all the help they require. I've started keeping a text file of wifi security instructions that I can paste in when someone asks for such info).

Haol 16:54 31 Jan 2006

I did my house's wireless network and I've tested it for secureness and it's pretty damn fine :)! It's easy when you know how.

tasslehoff burrfoot 17:02 31 Jan 2006

for some one who "knows how" to sit in your back garden and get into your network.

If they were so inclined.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone