New pension changes announced

TopCat® 15:23 20 Dec 2007

Too late to affect myself and many others here, but younger souls will be informed. TC. click here

jakimo 15:29 20 Dec 2007

The shock comes when the cheque does arrive and you find 40% has been deducted for tax,so much for paying into a pension scheme

anskyber 15:31 20 Dec 2007

40% tax, be grateful you have the income to take you into that tax band. :-))

Bingalau 15:32 20 Dec 2007

Does this mean that the more generous pension will go to today's pensioners too. (I hope). A lot of us started work at fourteen, we also worked longer hours and got less holidays etc. Today's workers are mollycoddled.

Bapou 15:34 20 Dec 2007

"During the next parliament, the state pension will be made more generous, and future increases will be tied to earnings rather than prices."

Oh yeah! I won't hold my breath.

Cymro. 15:35 20 Dec 2007

"40% tax, be grateful you have the income to take you into that tax band. :-))"
ansskyber

And I hope grateful to have a pension scheme. There are many who don`t.

mrwoowoo 17:25 20 Dec 2007

"The number of years it takes for people to qualify for a full basic state pension will be cut to just 30"....hmm..interesting.
A female friend who is 78 worked non stop until she retired exept for a period of 18 months.Due to this 18 month "lapse" she gets a reduced pension as she did not work long enough to qualify for the full pension.
Another female friend who never did a days work in her life and is also single,gets a full pension pays no poll tax and has a free council flat.
Can anyone explain why this country penalizes anyone who has dared to work for a living.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?