New paypal scam

jimv7 19:11 28 Sep 2005

Well its new to me,

I recieved an email reciept from paypal for the watch that 'I' supposedly purchased on ebay to the tune of $195, it seemed very genuine, a few minites later an email from ebay saying that my account was compromised and to contact them, of course I sent both emails to [email protected] .co.uk.

It would be easy in the spur of the moment to panic and click the link for disputes on the paypal email, so be very wary.

octal 21:19 28 Sep 2005

I get so many of these of various different types now I don't even bother to sending them to Ebay, I just delete them.

spuds 22:36 28 Sep 2005

I generally find that the spoof Ebay/Paypal emails I receive have a slight exaggeration to my actual email address, so its the delete for them, even though they can look very convincing.

g0slp 07:02 29 Sep 2005

is now a copy of messages sent to you in your 'My eBay' area.

So, if a message received directly in your email inbox isn't in your 'My eBay' area, it's not genuine. QED.

I don't know about PayPal; I've not had any phishing emails allegedly from them that weren't obvious <yet>; however I use an email address with PayPal that is only for use with them; nothing else.

Mark.

€dstowe 07:54 29 Sep 2005

I've had numerous emails from eBay and PayPal telling me that my accounts are in some way not as they should be.

I don't have, indeed, never had, any dealings with either concern. Do they expect me to get worried when I get receipts for $1,000 purchases?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?