A New (To Me) Debit Card Surcharge.

morddwyd 09:35 08 May 2017

Whenever I use my debit card I use the contactless facility, and I have been doing so for some time.

Last week, however, I was surprised to be advised there would be a £5 surcharge for this facility.

This was not for the use of the debit card, which is not unusual and I am used to, but just for the use of contactless.I paid by the normal chip and pin and went on my way, but they have lost a good customer.

Anyone else come across this?

Pine Man 11:26 08 May 2017

Your post poses two questions.

1. 'advised there would be a £5 surcharge'. By who, your bank or retailer?

2. 'not for the use of the debit card, which is not unusual and I am used to'. You are used to being charged to use a debit card? That has never happened to me.

lotvic 11:42 08 May 2017

I've never heard of a surcharge for using contactless.

The limit is purchases up to £30 to use a contactless card, therefore a charge of £5 (apart from exorbitant) would take it over the £30 limit, can't see how that would work.

bumpkin 12:23 08 May 2017

It sounds like the retailer trying it on to me, if the banks made a £5 surchsrge nobody would use the contactless transaction.

Teabag. 12:38 08 May 2017

Some shops use to make £5 minimum spend for a debit card transaction. Smaller shops could be applying this rule for contactless. No doubt shops have to hire these machines at a cost to themselves.

wee eddie 13:21 08 May 2017

First time I have heard of this.

Contact your Card Provider, I think someone's trying it on

HondaMan 15:35 08 May 2017

Agree with the above. This sounds like the retailer is trying to "make a fast buck"!

morddwyd 19:38 08 May 2017

Like most of you, I think it's a try on. I will let my bank know anyway.

The minimum spend hardly applies as the bill was£20+, and in any event the "minimum spend" thing is about defunct, except for very small retailers, as the contacrless system was introduced just for these "small change" transactions.

I rarely use cash for anything over 50p these days. While I carry some notes for amounts over the card limit, the only coinage I carry is a £1 coin for slot machines.

Thanks for the responses - it seems fairly obvious that the practice is not widespread.

Burn-it 21:25 08 May 2017

I think they might. there will be contract conditions for the use of (acceptance) of cards.

morddwyd 09:06 09 May 2017

Banks don't like any surcharge like this.

It might deter someone from using a card, and that means the loss of the percentage they make on the transaction.

mikef. 10:48 09 May 2017

Definitely a rip off merchant, the charge to the retailer for using contactless is usually about 0.2%

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone