New 'Ghost' ship for Hartlepool

Seth Haniel 16:21 05 Jul 2008

click here

A HUGE aircraft carrier containing 700 tonnes of asbestos which has been refused entry across Europe and Asia will be dismantled in Hartlepool.

THE Clemenceau is affectionately known as Le Clem.

The vessel is 714ft long with a beam of 95.1ft.

When fully loaded she weighed 32,700 tons.

g0slp 21:17 05 Jul 2008

This is very good news for the area, & at least the job will be done properly, being performed in covered facilities with all due care. Anyone who's seen the likes of Alang beach in India, one of the great shipping graveyards, knows how little attention is given to safety, be it for the workers or the environment.

click here

Shame on those local councillors who delayed, indeed tried to deny, permission for Able to commence breaking ships. At least some of them lost their seats over the matter.

day2strike 21:25 05 Jul 2008

India did not want it or the French, But Hartlepool does.
Oh well tourism may drop then!

Seth Haniel 23:05 05 Jul 2008

before the wreck it for good ;) taken from upwind ;)

conrail 20:47 07 Jul 2008

with all the chemical plants we have here in Hartlepool, a ship isn't going to make that much difference, glad Able got the go ahead, at least this and the ghost ships will be disposed of properly, I have fallen out with my brother in law over this, he is against the work, he is actually "a friend of Hartlepool", he lives in Somerset, I said we have to agree to differ but he took my sister and the kids home and wont even speak to me, ah peace is lovely, but he wont even let me speak to my sister and the kids, reminds me of the miners strike, that split families, even today some haven't spoken to each other

al's left peg 22:27 07 Jul 2008

I would like to bet that any of the workers tasked with dismantling these vessels will have to sign a disclaimer regarding future claims on medical problems, if they accept work on these contracts.

gardener 00:35 08 Jul 2008

'This is very good news for the area, & at least the job will be done properly, being performed in covered facilities with all due care. Anyone who's seen the likes of Alang beach in India, one of the great shipping graveyards, knows how little attention is given to safety, be it for the workers or the environment.'

How do you know the job will be done properly, have you inside information? I'd like to know why Hartlepool can do it any better. I suspect they can do it cheaper.

Seth Haniel 12:51 08 Jul 2008

The firm 'Able' just kept battling in the courts to get its licence and when the council ran out of money (costing tax payers £1m plus) they had to give in - even if wrong.

afraid big money always outways safety and common sense

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?