New, faster charging battery solution found.

TopCat® 21:31 11 Mar 2009

Due to benefit the world market in two or three years time, this lithium ion research done by Professor Gerbrand Ceder and colleagues at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), has apparently ended long battery recharging times for ever.

Without a doubt, this discovery is a huge and helpful step forward for both product manufacturers and consumers alike. TC. click here

peter99co 23:09 11 Mar 2009

His Next Challange could be to Make Gold from Lead or Get Blood out of a stone.

Can't wait for the results so far to be marketed though!

Wilham 23:43 11 Mar 2009

"Batteries that discharge just as quickly would be useful for electric and hybrid cars, where a quick jolt of charge is needed for acceleration."

No doubt here is some progress but it's not clear when it says '...electric and hybrid cars..'

The present hybrids lose out because they are not mains pluggable, and it has been argued elsewhere in our forum that modern diesels can be more green.

If the electric-only car is to have a performance approaching a small diesel it will need stored energy to power 25kWhr (say) for six hours. Even with 100% efficiency this requires 300kW supply for a half-hour charge.

The big problem in this is to stop thermal run-away. The hotter parts inside all batteries are more active than the cooler. If one location in a cell is better insulated and gets warmer, more current flows, and very high run-away currents create hot spots ending in self destruct.

TC's thread presents an advance, but it doesn't answer the leading question, how to load high battery energy such as above in quick time.

Forum Editor 00:41 12 Mar 2009

lies in solar panels - at least in the short term. Expect to see a whole new generation of mobile phones and devices with miniature solar panels on the back; your phone will constantly charge itself when exposed to light.

The challenge is to provide enough power to satisfy the needs of modern phones with internet access, and to keep on doing it, hour after hour.

laurie53 07:28 12 Mar 2009

"Batteries that discharge just as quickly would be useful for electric and hybrid cars, where a quick jolt of charge is needed for acceleration."

If they give a nice good jolt of acceleration then we are only a step away from electric space shuttles!

carver 09:56 12 Mar 2009

Only one problem with trying to put all that power into a rechargeable battery in a short time to run a car, nobody has a home power supply big enough, or a thick enough cable.

Wilham 11:06 12 Mar 2009

carver
I agree with you, good thinking. So we have to much compromise performance. To avoid making our E car a lability to other road users when carrrying four people, we need a minimum power 10kW(say). Six hours running needs 60kWhr.

My home mains supply is 100amps max. I see little difficulty arranging a 12 hr overnight charge at 5kW to provide this. In practical terms it ought to be higher than 60 units because charging is inefficient, but I suggest this is more than off-set by residual energy reducing need for full charge. If I can shorten the time to suit my economy 7 tariff, the cost will be £3.06 for 60units(E.on).

oresome 15:40 12 Mar 2009

"I see little difficulty arranging a 12 hr overnight charge at 5kW to provide this."

Of course when everyone is using a high load during the night, the economy 7 tariff will become the new Peak 7 tariff at premium prices.

TopCat® 17:59 12 Mar 2009

Of course, the ultimate answer to all power transmission problems is for some brilliant team or individual to finally find the illusive metallic compound or alloy that gives us Type2 superconductivity.

It most probably will be a totally new compound that has yet to be discovered, as I feel sure the relevant elements of the whole periodic table have been exhaustively scrutinised and tested but no 'Holy Grail' has been found, as yet. TC.

Stuartli 18:34 12 Mar 2009

Solar powered watches, for instance from Casio and Expert Verdict, are already with us...:-)

In fact the Expert Verdict RC can be bought for as little as £60.

skeletal 19:57 12 Mar 2009

When trying to calculate charging times for electric cars, it is worth remembering that a conventional petrol pump hose delivers fuel to your tank at an equivalent rate of about 25MW (that is Mega Watts)!

This is why hydrocarbons are so useful, their energy density is very high.

Also remember that when everyone is charging up their car from the mains our dear government will have to replace its obscene tax take from the motorist in another way. Let me see, how about “fuel VAT” of £10 per kWh when used for a car??!!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?