New car registrations plummet 21%

peter99co 12:31 06 Oct 2008

How much has the new Road Tax affected this or is it just a shortage of customers?

click here

This is the fifth month of falling sale of new cars.

Picklefactory 12:43 06 Oct 2008

Not much money about in general, for Joe Public right now. I'm sure there's a significant down turn in most consumer outlets. And I'm sure it'll get worse before it gets better.

Bingalau 13:03 06 Oct 2008

Let me know when the price of a Merc comes down...

peter99co 13:33 06 Oct 2008
  interzone55 13:37 06 Oct 2008

If the new road tax rules had any effect it would be to increase sales, because new cars are on the whole less polluting, so the tax band is lower.

I think the fall in sales is generally down to tightening of purse strings. If you're having trouble paying for the weekly shop, I think a new car is totally out of the question.

Interestingly my car dealer keeps sending me offers, they have an offer this coming weekend with new cars at less than cost price, plus best ever prices paid for second hand vehicles.

Now I have no idea how long the garage is going to stay open if they keep having offers like that. I'd better find somewhere for my next service in case they've closed down...

wiz-king 13:53 06 Oct 2008

Sorry --- bought one 5 years ago not due for another till 2013. (at least)

version8 15:12 06 Oct 2008

Land Rover sales have gone down 50% in the last year!

canarieslover 16:56 06 Oct 2008

A new car goes down very low on the list of 'must haves' when money starts to get tight. Next thing will be foreign holidays so it's a good time to look for one for next year if you can afford it.

spuds 16:57 06 Oct 2008

I see Halfords are reporting an increase on bike sales. So there must be some money still around ;O)

Or it might have something to do with Tebbutt, and his "Get on your bike" speech. It could also indicate Public transport is not the cheap saviour, as our beloved government would like to suggest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?