A new' bank message' ploy

jack 08:50 29 May 2008

That is meaningless.
Most of us have received messages from 'Banks' for details as a 'Security' check -even though you/we/me don't have an account- you know the sort of this I am referring to.
The latest in my box to day is a real puzzle
It takes the form of a graphic panel from HSBC
addressed to Dear Internet Banking Customer
The message is - 'You have one unread message'
No link to the message any where.
Needless to say as I do not use HSBC I shall not try too hard to find out what it is about.

[url=click here][img=click here][/url]

€dstowe 09:10 29 May 2008

There may be something nasty invisibly embedded in the graphic. That's why Mailwasher and such things are so useful.

Forum Editor 09:18 29 May 2008

I set up a rule in MS Outlook. It looks for keywords in messages and automatically sends them to the deleted folder. That gets emptied automatically each day, and I never see the messages.

The keywords are simply the names of all the major banks.

jack 09:23 29 May 2008

I do see these things on the server so they do not get as far as my computer.

peter99co 11:19 29 May 2008

I googled Bank Names and found this

Bank domain names overdrawn - F-Secure 3:25PM, Friday 31st March 2006
Computer security firm F-Secure has done an survey into the number of bank names that have been registered as Internet domains, but not by the banks themselves.
A simple search across the .com, .net, .org, .us, .biz and .info top-level domains for common bank names found a huge number of illegitimate sites, including 994 mimicking Lloyds and 1,158 posing as HSBC. Sites bearing the name of US bank Chase totalled 6,470.

None, however, are as popular with phishers as the name of auction site eBay, which occurred 8,057 times in F-Secure's search.

While it accepts that some of these may be legitimate, the company rightly questions domains such as citibank-account-updating.com, registered last Friday to Evelyn Musa in Arlington, Virginia. It also wonders why such illegitimate registrations are permitted.

'When someone in, say, Nigeria wants to register a domain name that starts with the name of a well known bank, why are the registrars so willing to let them register it?' it asks.

Simon Aughton

charmingman 11:29 29 May 2008

yeah i had this the other day but what you need to take into account is that if it was genuine it would be addressed to your name & the main thing i spotted is that its emailed to a large group of people that have similar email addresses like yours, look @ who its from then who its too i bet you can see multiple email addresses there..thats the clue here...but it does look very convicing..

tullie 12:50 29 May 2008

It can have your name on it and still be a scam

Quickbeam 13:38 29 May 2008

I've just won an untold wealth on some Euro lottery or another, all I had to do was fill the form in with all my personal bank details... Oh yeah, right on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 29 May 2008

Every week i get one from "RBS" saying James Mcarthy has deposited a large sum in my account.

Pity I don't have a RBS account :0(

I had one a few weeks ago from "Barclays" that would allow me to click and download free security software due to the problems of bank fraud on the net.

Needless to say I didn't bother with their kind offer.

jack 13:56 29 May 2008

into a multiplicity of ISP variations too.
I think this mornings one was addressed to me @ multiple ISP's- one of course was a hit.

How many people bite I wonder - must be some to make it worth while.

Stuartli 14:18 29 May 2008

The bank message to which you refer is a scam.

I've had the same one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?