'Net neutrality' and Google/Verizon deal

PC Advisor 12:45 06 Aug 2010

Internet firms such as Google will soon be able to pay a fee to Verizon for faster delivery speeds, if a rumoured deal comes to pass. (click here)

Some have said that this would violate 'net neutrality' - the principle that no data traffic is prioritised over any other - and create a two-tier internet. Others believe that Google and Verizon are free to do as they wish. But what do you think?

Have your say in the poll in the lefthand column, below the picture of the magazine.

Seth Haniel 12:58 06 Aug 2010

is not taken. let all the providers use some of their bonusses to fund this faster service.
A wake up call is needed

Quickbeam 13:01 06 Aug 2010

Nothing stays the same forever.

morddwyd 20:06 06 Aug 2010

Don't think I know enough about this.

To me it seems no different to dial up and broadband, or bundled and unbundled.

Forum Editor 22:39 06 Aug 2010

to commercial advantage it always will be. As someone once famously (or apocryphally) said 'resistance is futile'.

That isn't to say that all commercial decisions are correct - some of them bite their originators on the proverbial, and this just might be one of those occasions.

OTT_B 09:46 09 Aug 2010

I can't say I have a problem with paid-for faster services for providers. End consumers don't have net neutrality taken into account. What's the difference if Google and /or Verizon do it? Frankly, if I can get a better service from sites I use regularly then that's a good thing. For me.

I've thought for a long time that the net will be split up. Possibly into a business net and a personal net. This look like one of the key stepping stones to acheive the split.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?