Is the Net becoming swamped with new gadgetry?

TopCat® 23:09 24 Apr 2008

Jonathan Zittrain is the professor of internet governance and regulation at Oxford University and co-founder of Harvard Law School's Berman Center for Internet and Society. He writes in his new book, "The Future of the Internet: And How To Stop It" that the future for the Net is potentially bleak, and goes on to explain in interview his concerns for its future. click here
Does anyone think he is right to sound these alarm bells now, to cause the industry to pause and take notice? TC.

Acx 01:14 25 Apr 2008

Read half of what he was saying but it made no sense to me

"I want a recognition from people that the network they enjoy now is in many important respects a collective hallucination," he said.
What the hell does that mean?

"If too many of them start treating it as a cash and carry service they are going get the network they deserve."
We have the network we deserve and Im quite happy with it thank you.

Strange that Professor Jonathan Zittrain, one of the world's leading academics on the impact of the net, is warning that the future is potentially bleak.
Then lets all give it up, but Im sure that someone will invent something to occupy our minds.

Pong anyone!

robgf 01:28 25 Apr 2008

He mistakingly believes that people are all the same.
Some people like less flexible internet access, while others like to tinker and try new things. So while Facebook and the like may stifle creativity (in his opinion), there are lots of other online communities that innovate continuously.

peter99co 11:37 25 Apr 2008

The original concept was military and designed to be bombproof. Is this still true?

interzone55 12:11 25 Apr 2008

Essentially the Internet is still bombproof - data packets are automatically rerouted if a connection fails - as seen recently when two massive fibre links were ripped up in Asia. The internet did not die, but just slowed down as packets were routed using slower connections.

What is now being seen though is a general slowdown as services like YouTube, iPlayer and Rapidshare are swamping bandwidth at the central hubs.

Despite the fact that connection speeds are supposedly on the rise, I find that my home connection is slowing down due to contention...

TopCat® 11:16 29 Apr 2008

Here's another story outlining concerns, in some quarters, about the rapidly rising strain on the Net. TC. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?