Nelson Piquet jr dropped by Renault

Strawballs 21:16 03 Aug 2009

click here
It looks to me that reading between the lines that after being totally outclassed by a rookie at McLaren Alonso wanted to make sure that it was not going to happen again at Renault

OTT_Buzzard 22:18 03 Aug 2009

t has to be said, his performance this season has been pretty dire.

Strawballs 23:21 03 Aug 2009

I'm not surprised if you read article and you see how much support he got from the team manager when he left the curcuit after Alonso was out.

Stuartli 00:33 04 Aug 2009

Going slightly off topic, I thought that this opposition from Williams to Schumacher being able to practice in the Ferrari to be beneath contempt, whatever the reasons it puts forward:

click here-$1316086.htm

Chris the Ancient 08:48 04 Aug 2009

I believe that it was written into Picquet's contract that he was to achieve at least hals as many points as Alonso. This he failed to do.

In Hungary he was given an identical car and (apart from Alonso's wheel falling off) was completely in a much lower league.

I bet if some 2nd division footballer was completely outclassed whilst playing for a Premier side, he would, quite rightly, expect to be 'binned'.

Chris the Ancient 08:48 04 Aug 2009

hals = half

PalaeoBill 19:51 04 Aug 2009

Nelson told Sky news that when he signed the contract with the clause to achieve at least half as many points as Alonso, he thought that he would be getting equal treatment.
It is only his second season in F1, he is in competition with a superb driver and former world champion and in most of the races he had a lesser care (in fact the car from the previous race). Talk about having to compete with hands tied!
You are right that they had the same car in Hungary but Nelson was on a different strategy, carrying 30 litres more fuel (thats another fifteen laps). The drivers that were light on fuel performed badly getting caught in the field behind slower cars after their first pit stop. We don't know if it would have been the same fate for Alonso because he didn't survive his 1st pit stop.
Maybe Nelson doesn't have what it takes, I don't know but his treatment certainly smells and I for one don't think he's been dealt a fair hand.

Strawballs 23:22 04 Aug 2009

As I said how must he have felt when his manager leaves the curcuit when the other driver (who does'nt get preferencial treatment) is out.

Noldi 20:31 07 Aug 2009

"Nelson was on a different strategy, carrying 30 litres more fuel (thats another fifteen laps)."

After the running on Friday Renault have an idea where their drivers are regarding pace. Obviously Alonso had a lot more pace and could go for the aggressive strategy where as Nelson was struggling and had to go heavy and hope for a pace car incident.
Nelson has struggled a lot with bad practice pace so he had to go, look at Felipe Massa he was in the same situation a few years ago when he was only the Ferrari test driver for a year and made a better come back a year later. Just because his dad was great it puts a bit more pressure on.

Noldi

bremner 20:40 07 Aug 2009

F1 is a cut throat business - perform or you are out.

Picquet did not perform plain and simple.

On the aside from Stuartli, Williams were quite correct, no other driver has been offered the opportunity to practice so why should Schumacher.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone