National motto for the United Kingdom.

spikeychris 19:28 21 Sep 2007

"Gordon Brown is reported to be wanting a national motto for the United Kingdom.

It's just three months since Mr Brown revealed that his own personal motto, borrowed from his old school, is "Usque conabor" which translates loosely as "I will try my utmost". And now he is said to want to want something similar for the UK, which could be for this country what "In God We Trust" is for the US, and "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" is for France."

Futher suggestions?

click here

Forum Editor 19:37 21 Sep 2007

"Small, but beautifully marked"?

OR (cue 'Thus sprake Zarathustra')

"Home of the free"

octal 19:46 21 Sep 2007

Most of the ones I keep thinking of will probably get me thrown off the forum for life, but I'll keep thinking, I might find some inspiration.

laurie53 19:51 21 Sep 2007

What's wrong with the one that appears in lots of places already "Dieu et mon Droit"?

Forum Editor 19:57 21 Sep 2007

That relates to the Queen's divine right to rule - it's not really something that would be appropriate for a national motto.

Quickbeam 20:02 21 Sep 2007

A modern Motto must be in modern language, or it will mean nothing, and be seen as elite clever-dickery.

I personally don't want a motto that raves on about God and Monarchy. click here

I'm still thinking...

Si_L 20:03 21 Sep 2007

According to Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge), we already have one:

click here

England: Dieu et mon droit (French, God and my right)

spuds 20:03 21 Sep 2007

Semper Eadem (Always the same) or Nullius Secondus (Second to non) perhaps?.

Si_L 20:03 21 Sep 2007

Sorry laurie didn't see your post.

Si_L 20:07 21 Sep 2007

I think you may get your wish, our society is definitely more secular than its ever been, and to have God in there would irritate some I'm sure.

Shame really.

Quickbeam 20:27 21 Sep 2007

"Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.
(Courtesy of the great Isaac Newton, of course)"

As posted by 'Caroline Brown', on the BBC site. We have a great history of giants who have created our modern Britain, and influenced the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?