National Minimum Wage Changes on 1/10/2010

Big L 266 18:06 25 Sep 2010

Hello.

National Minimum Wage rates are to rise from October 2010, with the minimum rate for workers aged 21 and over rising to £5.93 an hour.Last year it was £5.80 an hour.

13p x 40 hour week = £5.20 a week before tax.

No comment.

Big L 266

OTT_B 18:31 25 Sep 2010

£270 per year or around a 2% increase. Better than a poke in the eye with a wet turbot.

morddwyd 19:56 25 Sep 2010

Hope my pension goes up by that much!

spuds 20:13 25 Sep 2010

I suppose its better than being paid far less, and exporting your products to far richer nations.

What makes me annoyed is when the "going rate" is bantered about, when there is a divide between the rich and poor.

Strawballs 20:14 25 Sep 2010

I just hope the minimum wage does not get axed!!!

Number six 23:20 25 Sep 2010

We often hear politicians talk about spreading wealth more fairly, and the fact that the gap between the rich and the poor has continued to widen ever since the reign of Thatcher. How about introducing a national maximum wage? What would be fair? Hmmmm.... lets see, very roughly speaking, the national minimum wage is about one third of the national average, so how about an upper limit of three times the average, or about £100K per year. Does anybody really deserve to earn more than this, no matter what they do for a living? At least it would make £5.93 an hour sound a little less insulting.

Strawballs 00:33 26 Sep 2010

The same people that do not like a minimum wage certainly would not allow that to happen.

Kevscar1 03:49 26 Sep 2010

Number six
So you are saying that someone who runs a company that may bring in 100,s of milions of pounds to this country in exports, pay millions of pounds to the government and employs thousands of people only deserves about 100k.
If your scheme came in do you know what would happen to these people.
They would be headhunted by foreign companies and we would lose all our best business leaders.

mole44 05:58 26 Sep 2010

mmmm,i`d love the minimum wage i look after my wife who has dementia.I work 112 hours a week and am on call 24 hours a day,i get no wages,it`s a labour of love for me.I did get £53.10 a week till 65 then it stops (Overlapping benifit pension greater then £53.10)now i get £0.00 from the government how generouse is that.

Quickbeam 08:49 26 Sep 2010

The minimum wage is one of the successes of the Labour era in my mind. Back in '88 I managed a bakery where in '88 the bottom wage was £1.78 ph. At the time it was the going rate. By '92 it was still the same, my directors wouldn't allow an increase and I left as the calibre of the applicant for the jobs at that rate gave me a staff turnover of 115% in my last 6 month period.

I have no doubt that in the present economic climate, the same unspoken freeze on wages would already have been in place for over a year now with the prospect of another two years, while the fat cats merchant bankers would still award themselves hefty increases and bonuses with no justification.

Quickbeam 08:54 26 Sep 2010

"I think individuals should be allowed the right to accept work for under the minimum wage if they wish"
That's the top of a slippery slope whereby potential workers enter a Dutch auction to get a job.

The skill of the interviewer is to find out who is best suited to the training that goes with the job and is likely the give reasonably longterm service for your training input. If there should be any case for business being recompensed for that training cost, it should be government funded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?