National Insurance contributions

  ronalddonald 19:14 21 Jan 2009

Today i recieved a bill from HM Revenue & Customs for class 2 contributions. Im no longer self employed but i am a full time dad taking care of my own children, do i have to still pay these contributions. i declared this my last tax return year ended 5 April 2008.

  tullie 19:16 21 Jan 2009


  robgf 19:18 21 Jan 2009

Give HM Revenue & Customs a ring and ask, I've always found them to be very helpful. They take ages to do anything, but they are very helpful.

  oresome 19:20 21 Jan 2009

I think you're best getting advise direct from the tax people.

Your future pension entitlement rests on having sufficient NI contributions. If you are full time caring for children, you may well be entitled to some NI credits.

  Forum Editor 19:27 21 Jan 2009

are only payable if you are self employed. If you are no longer employed you may want to make voluntary Class 3 contributions, but if you have already achieved entitlement to a full basic state pension you are not allowed to make class 3 payments.

To be honest it's a complicated subject, and your best course of action would be to phone MM Revenue and Customs - they'll tell you.

  Grey Goo 21:47 21 Jan 2009

May be arrears to make a "Qualifying Year" up. Usually some explanation in the letter. Probably best to contact them as has been advised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?