A Nation of Dog Lovers?

peter99co 22:57 26 Apr 2008

I thought we had enough dogs of our own without importing them as well.

click here

Is this a option we need to accept? I believe the dogs in Animal Shelters need help in this country first.

interzone55 23:06 26 Apr 2008

I would say that a sign of a civilised society is a willingness to help others who are worse off than ourselves, whatever the cost.

As the vet mentioned on TV. Rabies is very difficult to find in tests, hence the 6 month quarantine period which we have very wisely chosen to keep, despite EU guidelines that it should be shortened.

mrwoowoo 00:21 27 Apr 2008

A bit like coals to Newcastle me thinks.
If she was bitten in three places,then why on earth did she go to those places?

Forum Editor 00:53 27 Apr 2008

to completely eradicate rabies worldwide. The disease could be gone in a decade if the international community got its act together.

Whether or not someone from a UK charity should bring dogs here from Sri Lanka isn't so important - it's legal, provided they're properly quarantined, and incidents of this nature are so rare as to be insignificant. In this part of Europe the risk of being bitten by a rabid dog is virtually nil.

WhiteTruckMan 01:11 27 Apr 2008

Hmmmm......

WTM

peter99co 11:49 27 Apr 2008

It all seems like a waste of resources to me and the cost of this would be better spent,perhaps in education of the people in their own country, to look after their animals better. We in this country had to set up animal welfare and they should do likewise.

interzone55 19:51 27 Apr 2008

Unless you pay into that charity none of your money is being wasted, so let the charity workers get on with being bitten in peace...

peter99co 10:05 28 Apr 2008

This is more important to deal with before we start going abroad looking for other problems to fix.

click here

interzone55 11:49 28 Apr 2008

There are plenty of charities involved in the care & welfare of animals in the UK (PDSA, RSPCA, CPL etc).

There are always people who want to help someone different, this case involves a small charity who help street dogs in Sri Lanka. They have their own reasons for this and who are you to tell them to do otherwise?

peter99co 12:18 28 Apr 2008

I was brought up to believe that charity begins at home and accept your point.

I just feel the resources used must be out of proportion to the benefit. It is not that they help out, it is the logistics they need to use to achieve a result.

It is the importing that I can't understand. There must be a better way to help these unfortunate dogs.

I have given homes to four dogs over the years and loved everyone of them. All of them were Rescued from people who had had their fun as puppies but had lost interest in them.

peter99co 12:18 28 Apr 2008

I was brought up to believe that charity begins at home and accept your point.

I just feel the resources used must be out of proportion to the benefit. It is not that they help out, it is the logistics they need to use to achieve a result.

It is the importing that I can't understand. There must be a better way to help these unfortunate dogs.

I have given homes to four dogs over the years and loved everyone of them. All of them were Rescued from people who had had their fun as puppies but had lost interest in them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?