Nat West Customers Beware

johndrew 20:40 02 Dec 2011
Answered

I have never been a customer of the Nat west Bank but this e-mail arrived a very short time ago:

" Dear NatWest valued customer,

You received this email as a notice for the database update for this month. This update is designed by our IT engineers to provide higher security to our customers online accounts, prevent unauthorized account access and other types of online fraud.

You are required to update your online profile by clicking on the following link:

Click here to access your online profile

Please note that this a one-time task that will take only 3-5 minutes of your precious time. However, failure in updating your profile will result in limiting your account access. We appologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you, Robert M. Higgins, IT Assistant, NatWest. "

It would appear to me to be a scam.

lotvic 20:55 02 Dec 2011
Answer

SCAM PHISHING SCAM. A very obvious one that's been around for long time.

Click link, go to fake site, part with your details, they empty your bank account and you lose all your money.

Sad thing is a lot of people do just that.... ah well, at least thee and me know better than to fall for that one.

OTT_B 23:43 02 Dec 2011

"Please note that this a one-time task that will take only 3-5 minutes of your precious time"

LOL

johndrew 10:19 03 Dec 2011

Another variation of it arrived this morning.

"Dear Western Union valued customer,

You received this email as a notice for the database update for this month. This update is designed by our IT engineers to provide higher security to our customers online accounts, prevent unauthorized account access and other types of online fraud.

You are required to update your online profile by clicking on the following link:

Click here to access your online profile

Please note that this a one-time task that will take only 3-5 minutes of your precious time. However, failure in updating your profile will result in limiting your account access. We appologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you, Robert M. Higgins, IT Assistant, Western Union United Kingdom."

I must applaud Robert M. Higgins for holding two similar posts in different companies.

Forum Editor 10:23 03 Dec 2011

There are many versions of this in circulation, and as lotvic says, it's been doing the rounds for a long time.

There are many others purporting to come from just about every bank in the country, and fortunately they're pretty easy to see through. All you have to do is look at the originating address and you'll get the idea.

johndrew 13:57 03 Dec 2011

I must have been fortunate not to have been on the original list of addressees as these are the first I have seen.

Toneman 14:39 03 Dec 2011

I find them interesting to look through for the inevitable spelling mistake...

OTT_B 14:54 03 Dec 2011

Despite my earlier comment, it was "We appologize for any inconvenience" that really tickled me.

Forget the spelling error. A bank apologising?

I think not!

Terry Brown 17:02 03 Dec 2011

The very simple solution is - If you recieve an email from any company asking for your details, contact the company (bank) direct -not from a number they supply-- and check with them.

NEVER send any personal details via an EMAIL.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?