NASA to open picture archive online

WhiteTruckMan 23:43 02 Sep 2007

of their impressive film, video and image library, all for free, some dating back to the first world war.

click here

Definitely worth bookmarking when its done, in my opinion.

WTM

recap 13:55 03 Sep 2007

"Definitely worth bookmarking when its done, in my opinion."

Mine as well WTM

interzone55 20:42 03 Sep 2007

NASA output has always been free of copyright, and available to all, if you knew where to look.

I remember I was doing a project on the Apollo space missions at school, so I thought it would be a good idea to write to NASA (pre t'internet), so a sent them a letter, addressed simply to NASA (well they weren't in the Manchester phonebook, so I didn't know their address, I was only 13 at the time).

About a month later I got a parcel that weighed about 6 pounds (3kg for the youngsters) packed with fantastic photos and datasheets, pity it arrived a fortnight after the project was due in.

WhiteTruckMan 21:20 03 Sep 2007

Very true, and theres quite a fair amount floating around the net on a good number of archives, both nasa run and otherwise. What marks this as special is the aim to put it all 'under one roof' so to speak, as one complete archive.

WTM

Forum Editor 23:10 03 Sep 2007

that America does so well. The NASA archive contains some of the most stunning images ever captured, and this will be a godsend for anyone interested in Space exploration and rocket research.

Blackhat 23:39 03 Sep 2007

I have been a keen astronomer for over 30 years and have noted that there are many amongs us on this forum with similar interest. Many NASA images and info have been available online for a long time, but as this project is intended to put all in one place it can only help when trying to find info.

What I am wondering though is whether any of you have been active online with astronomical projects?

I ran the SETI program for many years and I am currently helping to identify over 1 Million un-catalogued galaxies. click here

Any other Galaxy Zoo members on here? So far I have done over 7000. Here is a slide show of some of the better images I have classified. click here

georgemac © 15:44 04 Sep 2007

look forward to seeing this - some of the photos I have seen of earth taken from space are breathtakingly beautiful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?