Name That Book

Joseph Kerr 11:17 20 May 2014

I asked this yesterday on another forum. Someone started a sort of "not so much off topic as no topic" thread so I thought "what the heck".

I lent the book out years ago, and there's no chance I'll see that copy again. The things I can remember about it would make you think it would be easy to find, but Google does not seem to be my friend in this instance.

It was written in the late 90s (possibly early noughties) by a European teenage boy who has, I think, cerebral palsy. It's a sort of memoir of his time in school, so I think it is non-fiction.

I'm having a think about who I could email for advice, but in the meantime, thought I'd try my luck here; any thoughts gratefully received.

fourm member 11:38 20 May 2014

I look after the website for a charity providing support to CP sufferers in Africa so i've just emailed one of the trustees to see if she recognises the description.

I'll let you know.

fourm member 11:50 20 May 2014

Not from Europe but True Identity

Joseph Kerr 11:51 20 May 2014

Thankyou both for the interest, and thankyou for going to the trouble, fourm member.

I have emailed my nearest Waterstones. I was going to email a few others, but thought, well, they may get their teeth into it and ask other stores themselves. I almost certainly bought it at a Waterstones - Cheltenham, I think, but I've moved away from the area.

Joseph Kerr 11:58 20 May 2014

Jock1e, could it have been set during WWII? Wine Alley Days, by any chance? I think that is more recent, than the 50s, but I wonder if it's just that it was republished, perhaps?

fourm member 12:02 20 May 2014

Have you tried searching the Waterstones website?

'cerebral palsy'

It looks as though they've got records for books that they no longer stock so, if they sold it in the past, it might be there.

Joseph Kerr 12:09 20 May 2014

Yes I've looked there and did a search by publication date. None of them seemed right.

I've just discovered this forum - click here

I'm just trying to bone up on how to post without winding anyone up.

Joseph Kerr 12:41 20 May 2014

Oh dear, it seems I have probably aged you enormously. I though you meant you read it in the 40s or 50s. I missed the crucial word - "set".

lotvic 17:51 20 May 2014

Could it be: White on Black By Ruben Gallego? (A Russian boy with CP)

Joseph Kerr 18:13 20 May 2014

That's not it, but thanks - it seems worth a look.

fourm member 08:17 21 May 2014

My 'boss' at the charity can only suggest 'The Eye of the Clock' by Christy Nolan. He's Irish and she thinks the book is pre '90s so may not be the one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?