MY Postings editing.

Ancient Learner 22:11 22 Jul 2005

I was just searching for something I knew was there and it wasn't to find because of the volume there, much of which is no longer relevant to me.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a facility to remove unwanted threads from our own list.

pj123 12:05 23 Jul 2005

Sounds like a good idea to me but would it be feasible to let us do it ourselves?

I have just checked my "My Postings" and found I have 90 pages, which is probably the reason why it takes so long to open when I click on My Postings.

Maybe all threads in the "My Postings" forum that are over a year old could be deleted en masse?

I know the Helproom pages only go back as far as 10, what happens to all the threads before that?

CurlyWhirly 13:45 23 Jul 2005

[QUOTE]I know the Helproom pages only go back as far as 10, what happens to all the threads before that?

They are still in the database but can only be accessed through 'View your postings' or through the search option.

I think that the list should either be culled after (say) 12 months or you should be given the option to delete unwanted postings so as not to overload the server when carrying out these types of searches like in your example where you have over 90 pages!

Ancient Learner 15:31 23 Jul 2005

90 pages! Blimey, I've only got 13, and that was too many to wade through.

I guess that 80% or more of mine could easily be deleted.

Trouble is though, I'm not sure that deleting on a date basis, say only keeping the last 12 months, would be satisfactory either, as there is most likely to be something before that date which you would like to remain.

Then again, if it was so important to you, there is nothing to stop a 'copy' and 'paste' to a text document to save it somewhere else.

pj123 15:34 23 Jul 2005

CurlyWhirly, yes I agree. I would like to see some of "My Postings" deleted after a particular time. A good cut off point is (as you say) 12 months.

Ancient Learner 15:41 23 Jul 2005

Well that is three of us then. Only 170,673 others to go!

pj123 15:53 23 Jul 2005

Ancient Learner, yes that is exactly what I do. I have a folder on one of my hard drives called "PCA important" in which I put anything I think I can't remember that has been gleaned from the PCA Forum.

As we all know some of the same questions come up on the Forum time after time. It is easy to refer them to a previous thread rather than go through all the solutions again. But if the previous thread isn't there any more it is just as easy to retype the solutions, or do a search and then point them in the right direction.

Belatucadrus 16:05 23 Jul 2005

Only 63 pages, maybe I should stop being so shy and retiring ? But the very first question I tried to answer is the spitting image of one I had a go at yesterday, maybe the search window should be made bigger and given a flashing red border ?

watchful 08:44 25 Jul 2005

One answer would be to delete all the unsolved problems older than 1 year as this would make evryone's posting section smaller and also the search database as many of the ones in there do not have a relevant title so they are useless in a search and are just clogging up the system even more.

Wouldn't like to tackle the job though :0)

Ancient Learner 14:01 25 Jul 2005

Many of the 'unsolved problems' aren't that at all of course. I reckon that many are not ticked because people can't be bothered/don't know/forget, or whatever - we all tend to do it. Anyway after 1 year they are unlikely to be solved any further, if indeed anyone knows/cares any more.

Personally, I'd just get rid of the lot as just so much flotsam and jetsam. Then the suffering server, might feel a bit 'lighter'. And, I'd be able to find what I am looking for a whole lot easier.

Just to make it possible for us to get rid of old and no longer required threads from our own list of postings would help; well me at least!

pj123 14:26 25 Jul 2005

Ancient Learner, agree. "Many of the 'unsolved problems' aren't that at all of course."

A couple of months ago I did a review of My Postings to see if I missed "ticking" any resolved threads. Found quite a few and ticked them. Only went back as far as 44 pages though as it was very time consuming. I did post a thread asking anyone who found one of my threads unticked that appeared to be resolved to let me know. No one has responded so I guess I did a fairly good job. Still be nice to have all postings over a year old to be deleted though, they can always be posted as new again if necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?