Is my GP's surgery the worst ever

mrwoowoo 00:07 12 May 2008

or have you had even worse experiences.
1.Tore knee ligaments playing football.
Me: Doc. i can't bend my knee more than an inch due to torn ligaments.
DOC: "Oh,thats a locked cartliage".
ME: "No,it's not locked,it's the pain that prevents me from bending it".
DOC: Grabs knee and physically forces it to bend.
ME: Screams and swears in agony.
DOC:"Youv'e got ligament trouble there".
Result,2 months off with an almost snapped ligament.
2. Angina.
ME: Doc,i have angina.Goes on to describe classic angina symptoms.
DOC: Probably indigestion.Writes prescription for Gaviscon.
Five days later i'm back.
ME: "Doc,it's worse". Now i can only walk a hundred yards before i have to stop due to chest,left arm and throat pain.
DOC:"I'll send you for a blood test,but don't come back as there's nothing wrong with you".
Outcome..End up going private and get an emergency bypass,due to a blocked artery.
3. Now i have a prolapsed disc.
Phoned surgery on a thursday morning before the bank holiday as in absolute agony and bed bound.
ME:"Can i have a home visit please"
RECEPTIONIST:Are you bed bound.
ME: "Yes.I can't sit or stand only lay on my back.Even then the pains excruciating".
RECEPTIONIST:"No sorry half day.Oh and no appointments either".
ME: "Can i talk to the doc for a few minutes on the phone after surgery please?".
RECEPTIONIST:"No,he's got a meeting".
ME:"But i am nearly in tears with the pain and all the doc gave me on Tuesday were anti inflamatories which arn't working,so can i have some strong pain killers please?".I need more than the 2 hours a night sleep than i'm getting at the mo".
Next day a prescription appears at the surgery for more anti inflamatories which i don't bother sending anyone to collect.
I only ever go to the surgery if it's something quite serious which amounts to about 7 appointments i have made in 30 years and am always polite and never complain.
Perhaps thats my problem?
Sorry about the long rant.But after being bed bound for almost 2 weeks,i had to get back on the forum and now iv'e over done it.

jakimo 00:43 12 May 2008

in the case of your arm & chest pain why didn't you phone 999?,you would have got a thorough check up,as for the rest if you have lost confidence in your GP,its your prerogative to change him|her

mrwoowoo 01:47 12 May 2008

In my defence,it was more uncomfortable rather than a pain and only on exertion.Hardly an emergency.
Also,when i GP keeps saying there's nothing wrong,you tend to wonder if he's right.After all,he's the one with the qualifications.
Also,i did get an ECG done at hospital and as is often the case with this type of Angina,nothing showed up.
2 days later i explained my symptoms to my works,as my firm have their own medicals once a year.The first thing he said was you need a tread mill ECG,which is exactly what i asked my GP for.
Totally convinced that it all comes down to the GP's budget.
The point of my post is to see if this is typical of GP's practices or not.

crosstrainer 06:58 12 May 2008

This illustrates perfectly the "post code lottery" effect of the NHS. In order to prevent this from happening to someone else I STRONGLY urge you to write a formal complaint (include all details as above) to the NHS directorate in your area (address can be found on the NHS website.

I am currently suffering from DVT and the care I have been given really has been superb. I live in Cardiff and UHW is a large teaching hospital with all the equipment up to date.

As with anything there are good GP's and bad ones...In your complaint I would request a change of Doctor due to "lack of confindence in his / her suitablity to practice....This will make them sit up and take notice.

Miros 07:00 12 May 2008

If he/she is as bad as you say change to a new GP. Your experience is not my experience, though I have never felt the need to dispute their diagnosis anyway. Generally speaking they would seem to have a greater knowledge about the subject matter than myself, fact is I always find their explanations to a health problem interesting to say the least.

Oh and just in case you may think I generally have no health problems you would be wrong, in the past few years I have had massive surgery three times, plus other medical procedures carried out, without any of the foregoing I surely would not be here to tell the tale. Am I happy with my treatment? Got to say overall yes.

laurie53 07:20 12 May 2008

There's good and bad even within the same GP practice.

There's one doctor in our local practice who, no matter what you go to him with, will always ask "What do you think it is?" and "What do you think we should do about it?"

I'm all for involving patients in their own treatment, but.........!

Quickbeam 08:56 12 May 2008

I thought Dr Scot was asking:)

But seriously I find mine OK... maybe because I'm relatively healthy.

JanetO 09:31 12 May 2008

Some doctors get very stressed, and some even drink too much or don't look after themselves. Then you can see the results.

belfman 09:40 12 May 2008

Been with the same practice/doctor all my life, my own GP was my mother's when she was pregnant with me!

He has to be the best Doctor I've encountered. Even when I take my kids to him he's brilliant. The other Doctor I would sometimes see if I have to go is also confident, re-assuring and spot on!

It's the receptionists at the practice I don't like. You have to explain everything to them before they'll give you an appointment which will be as far off as next week or so. Are they nosey or do they really need to know where my pain is? :-O

DrScott 10:34 12 May 2008

I'm not a GP... :o|

GPs, like with all people, are variable and some are better at certain aspects of care than others.

As for asking, 'what do you think the problem is?', it's actually a taught and recognised way of achieving a diagnosis... allegedly.

Stuartli 10:48 12 May 2008

My other half used to suffer from what she assumed was indigestion - however it turned out to be angina and she subsequently had to have a triple by-pass.

Late last year the angina pains began to reoccur and she was in and out of hospital two or three times after first going to A and E.

Quite by chance her dialysis consultant remembered that he had once had another patient with a similar problem, which was caused by a low haemoglobin figure (it was dropping below 12).

She now has a regular pint of blood transfusion and this has cured the "angina" pains which were, incidentally, eased by the normal spray treatment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?