Must Be a Slack Day

morddwyd 20:10 09 Nov 2009

Only 8 threads, 9 with this one, with active posts today.

Is there some footy on or a soap crisis that I don't know about (must say, that normally puts traffic up!)?

canarieslover 20:19 09 Nov 2009

No, everone's working on their xxxxxxxxmas lists.

folsom 20:19 09 Nov 2009

I have noticed over the past few days, fewer and fewer posts on here, perhaps better forums are available elsewhere.

MAT ALAN 20:24 09 Nov 2009

Only 8 threads, 9 with this one.

As there are 13 forums on what is considered the best forum this side of neptune i think there are a few more posts than what is suggested.

Grey Goo 22:54 09 Nov 2009

Too many Jobs Comforters, Daily Mail bashers and Government apologists to make it worth mentioning a lot of things I reckon.

Forum Editor 23:23 09 Nov 2009

at the Helproom.

This area - Speakers Corner - comes and goes. The number of posts tends to depend on whether there are contentious issues being discussed. Start a thread about one of the issues of the day, and you'll attract an audience. It's a fact of life that people like a good old argument - traffic figures climb when there's a fight going on.

As for "Too many Jobs Comforters, Daily Mail bashers and Government apologists to make it worth mentioning a lot of things I reckon." That's a classic example of negativity. If something's worth mentioning then mention it. If your argument stands up on its own two feet you'll have no problem.

Condom 03:17 10 Nov 2009

Having been away for several months this year I too have noticed a large drop in site users compared to this time last year. There are also several regular posters from last year who seemed to have vanished. I used to laugh me head off at some of the posts but at the present time everyone seems so so serious. Perhaps it's the times.

morddwyd 09:30 10 Nov 2009

"perhaps better forums are available elsewhere."

Let's not go into the realms of fantasy!

jakimo 16:44 10 Nov 2009

Its more likely that everyone is trying to avoid being ambushed by a blackberry

Forum Editor 18:12 10 Nov 2009

"I too have noticed a large drop in site users compared to this time last year."

To be strictly factual, you can't have noticed a drop in site users, because you don't see them. You see the people who post comments in the forums, and the number who do that do tend to fluctuate from time to time. For no apparent reason a regular contributor suddenly stops posting, and that can have an effect on others - if there's nobody to argue with it stops some people from posting.

We don't always know why people drop off the map, and of course it's none of our business, but people die, move to different countries, suffer from ill-health, and probably just get bored with the same old discussions cropping up time after time. There are very few regular contributors who have been with us since the beginning, but there are large numbers of what some people call 'lurkers' who have been here for years, but never post in the threads.

Suddenly you'll notice that things have picked up again, possibly because of new blood in the forum, and off we'll go on a round of heated debates. It's what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017