Music store ZAVVI goes into adminastration?

perpetual motion 11:33 24 Dec 2008

formerly Virgin stores i belive, this christmas just dont get much worse what with woolworth's & there 27.000 jobs gone then this?

click here

oresome 11:38 24 Dec 2008

Woolworth's demise has been instrumental in Zavvi's problems as their wholesale arm supplied the chain with CDs and DVDs.

spuds 11:44 24 Dec 2008

Zavvi seems to have had its fair share of problems recently, including those of a fake website with a similar name.

This is the third large retailer selling similar products, that have gone bust or got into serious difficulties in the last twelve months, and no doubt more will follow, when you can purchase cheaper and better from other certain internet outlets, and with perhaps lot less hassle.

tullie 13:16 24 Dec 2008

We can all read the news

Pine Man 14:54 24 Dec 2008

'We can all read the news'

Certainly can. Then, as this is speakers corner, we can discuss it.

perpetual motion 15:07 24 Dec 2008

"tullie"

Thats true BUT you cant always comment about the stories can you? BUT we can here hence why most of us post current issues

We love PCA!!

AL47 15:09 24 Dec 2008

its stores like this that are particularly susceptible to sites like play.com and amazon

i know i havent bought a dvd, game, cd from a shop in years

bigggles 15:37 24 Dec 2008

Is this the death of the high street? In my town, Woolworths and Zavvi are large stores - if a few more shops go in Jan it will start to look a bit bare. Is this the logical conclusion of the explosion of on-line sales? And what are the implications for society? Much to ponder ...

AL47 15:41 24 Dec 2008

quite possibly, there will always be some who want to go to shops, but 'few' isnt enough to be profitable

laurie53 19:48 24 Dec 2008

As I said in another thread, I was in Zavvi yesterday.

The queue was out of the door, so I came home and downloaded what I wanted.

I didn't particularly want to put somebody out of a job, but I didn't particularly want to stand in a queue for the best part of an hour either.

QuizMan 19:57 24 Dec 2008

Shopping in Zavvi (or it's previous incarnation of Virgin Megastore) was never a pleasant experience. With music, it's just as easy to buy on-line with more options to play before you pay, hence the rise of Play.com etc.

To stay alive on the High Street stores need to have that little something extra like quality service, but Zavvi fell short of the mark. Clothes shops are more likely to survive the on-line shop, although Officer's Club have proved an exception. Being able to see the garment and try it on is always likley to be more appealing than shopping on the web where we cannot assess the quality of the goods.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement