Music, Noise and permitted decibels

Diemmess 15:10 05 Apr 2007

Sound emissions are quite strictly regulated for machinery and the working environment, but not it seems for live music gigs behind pub. in open air.

A series of such concerts took place last year on bank holidays resulting in a dozen people living close by on the edge of the village making what objections they could at a public meeting.
At that meeting a Police and District Council representative each explained why they would not interfere.
I’m well out of earshot but I have friends who think “What’s wrong with an occasional open air concert, a drink and enjoying”…….

Some sounds are sheer pleasure to some people, but only tolerated by others, and deeply upsetting to a few.

“Pop music” in my distant memories of dancing did indeed have a tingle factor being a live show, but conversation was possible while the band played.
In the last couple of decades almost any gathering entertained by a band makes such noise that communication is limited to shouting in the ear of someone nearby.
When younger people drive in or out of the village, a dumtiddy dumtiddy dimtiddy drumming noise is heard well before any engine noise as the door panels vibrate to the mighty sound inside.

What is the reason behind this quest for an obliterating background? Has it meditation possibilities?
In the absence of silence is a huge background noise a way to enter a fantasy world?
TV and radio links as well as some presentations have a squelch arrangement so that a background ditty fills every pause for breath or the narrative.

Am I right, or now proving the degenerating path into Shakespeare’s seventh age?

Woolwell 15:51 05 Apr 2007

I'm with you. Everything seems to need to be noiser nowadays. I even heard classical music at very high volume with the bass right up from a car this morning.

Concerts have to be licensed under the Licensing Act 2003. One of the considerations is noise. It is the local authority that issues the licence and for dealing with objections to noise. One night is probably acceptable but being kept awake for days on end is not.

Jak_1 15:52 05 Apr 2007

The reason is because those attempting to play the music and sing the songs can't. They use volume to mask their ineptitude!

Phphred 16:12 05 Apr 2007
  interzone55 16:45 05 Apr 2007

I used to promote gigs by a local group, and my understanding was that noise levels must not excede 99db.

Now from experience this level is easily exceded with current PA equipment. One gig I attended had sound pressure levels well in excess of 120db, which was majorly painfull, and actually loosened some of the masonary at the front of the building.

Diemmess 16:46 05 Apr 2007

Thanks, but for reasons explained by the District Council rep at that meeting, there was no illegal act. I just rambled on a bit!

My main reason for this thread is to ask if others too feel a sea change, a social hunger for loud and continuous sound, which is often nothing whatsover to do with current activity?
Is it a prop? A way of going into a restful world by shutting off communication with this one?

Diemmess 17:00 05 Apr 2007

Last year, same village, new hall built. Enormously expensive for what it is, but had to install a costly gizmo which constantly meters the sound.
If it exceeds the set level for more than 5 seconds the power to the hall is cut!

spuds 22:49 05 Apr 2007

A parish council run village hall near where I live, have had similar decibel sound equipment installed as mentioned by Diemmess. This installation was demanded by local residents, but as now added a further problem, nobody wants to hire the hall for large gatherings and receptions.

The once a week Darby & Joan club and kiddies group plus other similar users are not very happy, because they have been told that there will be substantial fee increases for hiring parts of the hall are inevitable due to losses of main hiring revenues. Closure of the hall, could well be the next option!.

Totally-braindead 23:08 05 Apr 2007

I know from my radio control model flying that we have to keep within a certain decibel level, no idea what the level is but one person near our flying field complained, first complaint we've had in over 20 years I might add, we got the sound level checked and were below it so just ignore this person now.
She even got the police involved and they came out to see what the fuss was. "Is that it?" they commented, "yes" we said so they shook there heads muttered about people complaining about nothing and left, haven't seen them since.
Next visit Environmental Health with another sound meter. Tested us again. Again we were below the level and they left and haven't been back either.
Wouldn't mind so much if the house thats doing all the complaining was right next to us but its over a mile away and I've stood outside the house in question when some of us are flying and you have to strain your hearing to detect the planes at all, and then you only hear something like a buzzing bee if the winds in the right direction, theres no way she could possibly hear it in the house.

Jak_1 00:40 06 Apr 2007

They should try living near an airport then! I live just 2 miles north of Ringway (MIA) and though I see the aircraft I rarely hear them, they have become part of the normal background noise.

Totally-braindead 13:10 06 Apr 2007

Yes Jak_1 my gran lived next to the train lines, which are now gone, and you very soon didn't notice them passing. I recall people saying to my gran that noise is terrible how do you put up with that and her replying what noise?
She wasn't deaf she was just used to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?