Murdoch signals end of free news

oresome 12:42 06 Aug 2009

click here

Are you prepared to pay a subscription to continue reading these online papers or will you simply move to a free site for news?

OTT_Buzzard 12:49 06 Aug 2009

IF the paid for content has more indepth review and comment then i would think about paying for access to one site (no more!). If it's the same as what is published online now then there's no way I'd pay for it!

Quickbeam 13:19 06 Aug 2009

I won't even pay for a printed paper, I read other's when they've done with them!

There's plenty of up to date news available on radio and TV during the day, so no, I won't be paying.

Quickbeam 13:22 06 Aug 2009

Or better still the classic find, a 20 plus year old paper in a suitcase in the loft... I can pore over that old news for hours:)

knockin on 13:24 06 Aug 2009

There are so many free access points to news that paying for it is (I'm going to become hip, hop, wicked and cool here) A no brainer.
The tough part is deciding which news is accurate and which is balderdash.

Stuartli 13:34 06 Aug 2009

I'm still bemused by the owner of, amongst other newspapers, the Sun commenting that:

"Quality journalism is not cheap and an industry that gives away its content is simply cannibalising its ability to produce good reporting."

Chegs ®™ 13:47 06 Aug 2009

5p per article? Stuff that.I dont read newspapers apart from the local weekly(& even there,I'm still 3 weeks behind)

Stuartli 15:30 06 Aug 2009

>>You might, for example, have to watch a 15 second commercial between the headline and the full story.>>

Please don't give anyone any ideas of that nature...:-)

I read the Daily Mail website's main stories the night before, as well as watching the Sky News and BBC News Press preview programmes, but still have the Mail and MoS delivered.

JYPX 17:25 06 Aug 2009

I remember being astonished, probably more than 10 years ago, to discover that most of the content from the Sunday Times was available free, on the Times website, just by clicking on Newspaper Edition. I don't think I have bought a newspaper since.

Stuartli 18:02 06 Aug 2009

>>Moving to a paid for online model could actually speed up the demise of the papers>>

You could, by the same logic, say the same for a free on-line service...:-)

As a retired journalist, I've heard many times over the years that newspapers were on the way out.

First it was the gradual improvement in television news programmes, then Teletext and Ceefax and, to cut the story short, more and more on-line content.

But people still love newspapers, they cover stories in far more depth and with additional time to reflect on what is being written and can be read anywhere.

oresome 18:34 06 Aug 2009

Newspaper circulation has been in decline for years.

In depth reporting is too time consuming to read for many, who have a busy lifestyle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?