MS Access & Excel

numpty_uk 14:31 07 Dec 2009

Just got told i need to brush up on both MS Access & Excel for work.
I'm currently using MS Office 2000 Premium.

Any good sites to get exercise's off to practice on?

octal 14:41 07 Dec 2009

If it's for work, what about getting them to stump up to pay for you to take the ECDL qualification? Some large organisations, like the NHS where I took mine, can offer in house training for the course.

This is the site for the ECDL click here

wiz-king 15:31 07 Dec 2009

You need to ask what version they use as you might have to update to 2007 - at their expense of course. 'The Dummies Guide' books are quite useful.

numpty_uk 15:39 07 Dec 2009

Should have mentioned i have ECDL(Office2000)
But have not used Access or Excel in the last 18months!
Got about 2 weeks to get to grips with it again!

octal 16:55 07 Dec 2009

That's the usual old problem with doing courses, you take the course then you've got to practice what you have learnt.

I think you'll soon pick up Excel once you start working in it, but Access is another matter, I used to build databases with Access, but I suspect it would take me some time to get to grips with it again because it is such a powerful program and there is so much too it.

As a matter of interest, do you use Excel at home to manage your own finances? If you don't already then that is a good place to start. I have a template of the one that I use if you want a copy of that, just let me know.

Mike D 17:51 07 Dec 2009

Even if your employer won't stump up for the ECDL course, Waterstones have plenty of EDCL or CLAIT books that will help.

shellship 18:50 07 Dec 2009

If you go to Waterstones and look in their section for computer books you will find many very fat and quite costly books, some of which will have training discs included. That's how I got started with Access.

shellship 18:52 07 Dec 2009

Forgot that you mentioned Excel as well. There will probably be a book on Office 2000 - I have one on Office XP which is reasonably helpful.

Picklefactory 19:13 07 Dec 2009

For Excel/ Access problem solving I would recommend MrExcel.com (Assuming VoG isn't about here)

click here has some good stuff also click here

Terry Brown 08:45 09 Dec 2009

Have you tried going to your local library online, and searching for the books you require.

Quite often they come with the 'Teaching' CD/DVD, in which case they will charge a small fee, which is a lot less than buying the books yourself.
This is a copy of books available (Excel) from my local library.
click here=*E7*E0*0B*15*60*E2*DBx*2D5q*94*DB*17*98*11&WebPageNr=1&WebAction=NewSearch&StartValue=1&RowRepeat=0&MyChannelCount=

Terry

Terry Brown 08:46 09 Dec 2009

Sorry the link is not transferrable.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone