Mrs, Miss or Ms?

dagnammit 11:41 20 Mar 2009

click here

A snippet from the aritcle:

"It would be far better if women understood that being a Mrs or Miss is trivialising their independent status."

A title which indicated a woman's relationship to a man was simply "archaic", she said, "a hangover from the past".

Her own straw poll of the office on the issue found: "Women with children do get it and don't much want to be seen as married and over-the-hill or a spinster.

Erm, my wife likes the fact she's a Mrs and uses my surname. Guess some ladies would like to hide the fact they have a husband though... Hmmm, wonder why? ;)

Noels 11:52 20 Mar 2009

I always thought a Ms was a woman who didn't know whether she was a near Miss or a near Mrs!
Regards
Noels

interzone55 12:09 20 Mar 2009

To look at the flip side - a man's status doesn't change once he's married - he's Mr before & after, so why should a woman be subject to a status change?

ronalddonald 12:26 20 Mar 2009

By law if they r married then theyshould be mrs, if divorced ms, and if single miss so there now dont get missed.

Covergirl 12:43 20 Mar 2009

. . . that "Ms" was used by the feminist types who wanted a title equal to "Mr" which didn't give a clue as to their marital status.

Then again, maybe they were just such uninteresting people that they had to have something to make them appear more exciting.

A bit like the facial piercings some of todays young people have. "Oh, I'm really boring but we could always talk about the holes in my face . . . "

Chegs ®™ 16:14 20 Mar 2009

My sister is a school teacher,and having started her career when single continued using her maiden name at school after marriage to reduce confusion amongst her pupils(or so she says)

sunnystaines 17:27 20 Mar 2009

Ms is for ladies that wear flat shoes.

caccy 17:48 20 Mar 2009

"Ms" is the abreviation for "manuscript". i.e Could be very old and dusty.

Forum Editor 17:51 20 Mar 2009

They do, and I can't remember when I last called a woman 'Mrs' or 'Ms'

I work with quite a few women, and call them Jane Smith, or whatever their name is. In the same way people refer to me as Peter Thomas - nobody ever addresses me as Mr. Thomas, even on the rare occasions they send me letters.

That's all a thing of the past, isn't it?

Forum Editor 17:56 20 Mar 2009

then they should be mrs"

Where did you get that idea from?

A married woman doesn't have to be referred to as 'Mrs' unless she wants it that way - there's no law that says otherwise. A woman may refer to herself as Mrs., Ms, or Miss - it's up to her to decide. Likewise, married women are under no legal obligation to use their husband's surname.

LinH 19:11 20 Mar 2009

FE

What you say is quite right when meeting people face to face, but there can be a problem when writing to a female contact.

Generally the name on the envelope is prefixed (if male) with Mr, but with a female you have three choices, Mrs Ms and Miss.

Getting it wrong can cause offence, but if you have not met the person before all you can do is take a chance and guess. Mostly there is no problem but sometimes it can be awkward.

LinH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?