Mrs May's cat...?

badgery 21:28 04 Oct 2011
Answered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15160326

Was this clear deception worthy of a Front-Bench Minister?

Woolwell 22:00 04 Oct 2011

From the article it would appear that she believed the story and had been given this information as fact. The person who checked the story and/or gave her the misinformation is the one who is guilty of deception.

badgery 07:53 05 Oct 2011

Woolwell

Then she must be at least guilty of incompetence.

To say it, not as an 'aside', but in a keynote speech at conference with the addition of emphatic words like "I kid you not" was a disgraceful lie.(Even Ken Clarke couldn't believe what he'd heard!).

Andrew Neil took one phone call to the justice department, to clarify and refute this allegation, while she was on-air - so it wasn't that difficult to get right.

Aitchbee 08:58 05 Oct 2011

Mrs May has 'let the cat out of the bag' in showing how inept she is for the demanding job of Home Secretary.

Crosstrainer2 09:20 05 Oct 2011

In the broader sense of current political climate this is not a CAT strophe really :))

morddwyd 09:33 05 Oct 2011

It was not a deception.

She said that cat ownership had been quoted as evidence that the putative deportee had a "family life" which must not be disrupted, under the HRA.

That is fact. That is a remark, not the only one admittedly, which the judge made.

Ken Clarke is two years younger than me. Time, like me, that he was put out to grass.

interzone55 09:34 05 Oct 2011

Crosstrainer2

In the broader sense of current political climate this is not a CAT strophe really :))

But it is, as it shows that a senior government minister and her staff are either very poor at analysing stories and fact checking, or are more than willing to flat out lie to their own workers in order to twist facts to their own advantage.

I expect this sort of thing from The Daily Mail, not a senior minister

Crosstrainer2 09:46 05 Oct 2011

True, but it's bound to blow over,stupid laws are a feature of where we are now, and whilst she comes over as utterly stupid (which many of them are) I can't see it becoming anything other than a source of comedy in the house.

badgery 09:57 05 Oct 2011

morddwyd "She said that cat ownership had been quoted as evidence that the putative deportee had a "family life""

Sorry, but she actually said "..an illegal immigrant could not be deported because, and I'm not making this up, he had a cat" . Nothing about it being part of 'evidence' as you say.

Listen to the actual words http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15171448

badgery 11:14 05 Oct 2011

"couched their words in a way that appealed to the party faithful"

Just another way of saying that the Party prefers lies, presumably?

Bingalau 12:09 05 Oct 2011

Not everybody gets these things Purr fect. But can this really be a cat-astrophe?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?