Mr and Mrs Gates win Time accolade

interzone55 08:48 20 Dec 2005

Anyone read this story?

Not much of an accolade when previous winners include Hitler and Stalin (click here).

The Time Person of the Year is awarded to person or people who have most affected lives for good or ill.

Totally-braindead 12:14 20 Dec 2005

Interesting article. I notice he got the award for his foundation not the computers and therfore got it for the good things. Only thing I can say, and I'm not a Bill Gates fan, is good for him. I knew that he had setup a charitable foundation but had no idea it was worth so much. It spends as much money each year as the World Health Organisation. Thats incredible.

wee eddie 12:50 20 Dec 2005

We have this thing about making money.

If those that make it, spend it, then everyone benefits.

Bill Gates is doing just that.

Just like Carnegie who built all those libraries.

God for him.

interzone55 13:14 20 Dec 2005

I personally have no problem with Bill Gates, a recent survey of CEOs voted him the most admired business person.

Yes, he's a bully when it comes to doing business, but all the money he's made will be ploughed into his charitable trust, leaving his kids just enough money to prevent them from starving. This, in my opinion, should be what everyone does, as there is nothing worse than seeing lazy wasters spending their grand-parents money.

My point with this post is that any award that has previously been given to Hitler & Stalin is not exactly a compliment.

stalion 13:16 20 Dec 2005

we are all on our computers useing windows thanks to Bill Gates and he must have created thousands of jobs connected with the computer industry.He doesn't have to contribute anything to society but he does through his foundation and like Richard Branson in this country seems down to earth and a thouroughly decent person.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:33 20 Dec 2005

'Time's annual honor is bestowed on an individual or group of individuals who have had the biggest impact on the year's news.'...I don't see the problem with Messers Hitler and Stalin receiviong the same award as, according to the terms of the award, they had a memorable impact on the world.

Interestingly the Gates charitable foundation is worth $29bn, perhaps this will firmly shut the mouths of the tiresome detractors who keep whining that he has/earns too much money. They also conveniently forget that Microsoft employs over 35k people and the staff wages are considerably more than working on a milk production line or working for Rover (when it was a company).

he also introduced computers and computing to the masses and if it were not for him we would all be using Linux /shudder.

G

pauldonovan 15:04 20 Dec 2005

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of being in agreement with Gandalf on this one :) He should probably have one it at some point for his changing the world via computers also.

pauldonovan 15:31 20 Dec 2005

That's bill gates should have, not Gandalf. And "won" not "one"... although I'm sure Gandalf deserves a prize too I didn't intend it to read that way.

Forum Editor 19:02 20 Dec 2005

have truly changed the world in their lifetime, but Bill Gates has - or more correctly, his company has.

He has almost certainly donated more to charitable concerns than any other human being, and he'll hand over a great deal more of his wealth before he's through. I'm quite sure that if anyone deserves the 'Time' accolade Bill does.

In any case - it's only a magazine cover

Kase 22:17 20 Dec 2005

Well you can't take your money with you when you go but you can do many things with it before you do.

VoG II 22:29 20 Dec 2005

GANDALF <|:-)> - I find myself in total agreement - there must be an upcoming holiday or Alzeimer's is setting in.

Forum Editor - well yes but many of us have done that - in teensie wensie ways - admittedly - but we have. Of course this will go unnoticed and we will not make billions but we have made an impact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires