Mr Cameron my solution to our woes.

Mark5001 07:28 08 Apr 2011

Sent to me by e-mail. Most will have seen this before.

Dear Mr. Cameron,
Please find below my suggestion for fixing the UK's economy.
Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.
You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:
There are about 10 million people over 50 in the work force.
Pay them £1 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:
1) They MUST retire.
Ten million job openings - unemployment fixed
2) They MUST buy a new British car.
Ten million cars ordered - Car Industry fixed
3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage -
Housing Crisis fixed
4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university -
Crime rate fixed
5) They MUST buy £100 WORTH of alcohol/tobacco a week .....
And there's your money back in duty/tax etc
6) Instead of stuffing around with the carbon emissions trading scheme that makes us pay for the major polluters, tell the greedy ******* to reduce their pollution emissions by 75% within 5 years or we shut them down.
It can't get any easier than that!
P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances
If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.
If not, please disregard.
Grumpies of the World Unite

Portal11 08:07 08 Apr 2011

About 10 months ago this was on the forum, its a great idea though! & i believe there is some truth in the matter.

Unfortunately this will fall on deaf ears i doubt MR Cameron would see this..

interzone55 09:35 08 Apr 2011

I'd like to see how long it takes the few BRITISH car makers to rustle up 10 million cars.

Morgan is probably the most productive British car company and they struggle to manufacture more than about 10 cars a week and their waiting list is around 5 years.

And just how will sending kids to school / college / university stop crime?

carver 09:43 08 Apr 2011

"I'd like to see how long it takes the few BRITISH car makers to rustle up 10 million cars"

They would have to set more people on to produce the cars so creating more jobs, and because they were producing a lot more cars garages would have to set more people on to repair them.

So it's not a such a bad idea.

"And just how will sending kids to school / college / university stop crime?"

It may not stop crime but you would have a better educated thief.

Grey Goo 10:16 08 Apr 2011

How long would it take before the under 50's and the Brothers in the Unions to start spouting on about the fairness of it all.

bremner 10:33 08 Apr 2011

...and where are we going to get the £10,000,000,000,000 (£10 trillion) needed to fund this scheme?

Armchair 10:36 08 Apr 2011

Change it to over 40 years old, and I'm sold on the idea.

interzone55 10:42 08 Apr 2011

Remember the British Leyland cars of the 70's?

Remember how they where on the whole crap?

They're the reason we don't have a British mass market car industry any more because the type of British person who works in a factory is not the sort of person who should be responsible for building a road vehicle.

The only car industry we have left make niche cars like some of the best sports cars in the world.

As spider9 says, this thread is crazy...

spuds 11:21 08 Apr 2011

Wasn't it 'Red Robo' who brought the then British Leyland to its knees and not the vehicles it made ;o)

One thing in favour at that time was the Mini Moke and the exportation or smuggled part business that flourished around the globe for this particular model. Employment in some regions were on the up!.

wee eddie 11:34 08 Apr 2011

I have a horrible feeling that the Mini Moke was built in Australia!

'Red Robbo' was part of the problem, but only part.

The management were incompetent, selling Minis at a loss was only the start of the problem. Their ability to motivate their Workforce was pathetic, and the design of some of their cars beggared belief.

No wonder 'Red Robbo' was able to cause such havoc. The workers themselves were an embarrassment to the Country, skiving off and sleeping on night-shift, assembling parts incorrectly and having no pride in their product or themselves.

Quickbeam 11:41 08 Apr 2011

A Honda or Toyota built in Britain is as British as a Ford or Austin in my book.

Leyland went down the pan as what they were making at the time of the early Jap imports was crap. They failed to learn the lesson from the collapse of the British motorcycle industry.

And Morgan create a sense of mystique for their products by restricting production to less than needed to meet the order books to perpetuate an exclusive desire for something that could easily be catered for within a year if they upped production. But they choose to hold back as a sales method. If you could order one for delivery tomorrow, you wouldn't want one then, and you'd want something better for the money!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?