MPs' expenses: Telegraph investigation exposes all

hssutton 22:34 07 May 2009

The telegraph should make interesting reading on Friday.

Jack Straw claimed back twice as much for his council tax as he had actually paid.

He later repaid the money and apologised for the error. :)

click here

I am Spartacus 22:55 07 May 2009

To be fair he has a country to help run and can't waste time on trivial things like expenses:o)

carver 06:42 08 May 2009

Another link to it here click here

carver 06:46 08 May 2009

Don't know if any body posted about this but very interesting click here

If true nice little earner.

jack 08:48 08 May 2009

If any of the individuals highlighted were personally involved in the various claims- or simply entrusted this work to the 'team'.
Would -said busy ministers for example sit down one evening with the 'Swindle sheet' in front of them and tick the boxes- or could it be an eager researcher- picked up the paper and maximized it for their employer?
I'm not trying to excuse any one- simply wondering how the system works.

hssutton 09:15 08 May 2009

It's not just ministers that have been making these claims, it would appear that most MPs have been feathering their "nests" at our expense.

I guess any of us doing the same thing would have resulted in a criminal conviction.

anchor 09:36 08 May 2009

For those without a classical education:

"Who shall watch the watchers" - Nobody it seems.

oresome 09:41 08 May 2009

Apparently there is a Code of Conduct for MPs. The first principle is: Selflessness.

"Holders of public office should take decisions solely in terms of the public interest. They should not do so in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends."

oldbeefer2 10:08 08 May 2009

They must have missread it as 'selfishness'.

spuds 10:37 08 May 2009

All I can say is that our MP's must have good accountants, or perhaps not so good in some cases.

I help out with some pensioners council tax claims, and its a pure headache dealing with 'caring' council's and the hold on the purse strings. Try to claim to much, and they will prosecute, claim to little and its either silence or " you are entitled!".

sunnystaines 10:39 08 May 2009

The way the MP's have abused expences that should justify them being scrapped full stop, if they do not like plently of others waiting to replace them.

will any be prosecuted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?