MP's Expenses Report

Bingalau 10:43 04 Feb 2010

Just been reading this on the BBC site and am amazed that the report is costing more than the amount which will be recovered. Should say "may be recovered" because most of them will be appealing. Selfish B.........

birdface 11:04 04 Feb 2010

I suppose in the long run they will save more.
I must be one of the few that does not grudge the payments to MP's for realistic expenses.
Most folk come home from a hard days work,have a meal.May want to watch TV for a while or even a DVD.have a shower Etc and because MP's are living away from home I can see no reason why realistic claims for expenses should not be allowed.
Ok quite a lot of them have abused this but not the majority.
It will be interesting though to find out how much is now being claimed in expenses to previous years.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:18 04 Feb 2010

'Sir Thomas Legg recommended that 390 MPs, more than half, should repay £1.3m'.......'Ok quite a lot of them have abused this but not the majority'...could you explain to me your understanding of the word 'majority'?

If MPs were at home they would have to buy food so having food on expenses is ludicrous.

peter99co 12:48 04 Feb 2010

click here

The prime minister's spokesman said Gordon Brown was fully supportive of Sir Thomas Legg's review and that he encouraged MPs to pay back money owed as quickly as possible and it was an important step in overhauling a discredited system.

birdface 13:10 04 Feb 2010

You are probably talking about minimal amounts that some of them owed including the prime minister and the leader of the Opposition.
Apart from feeding the family at home they also have to feed themselves when in london and for guests when the need arises.

bremner 13:20 04 Feb 2010

You really are trying to defend the indefensible.

We are not responsible for the costs of MP's feeding themselves and their families irrrespective of where they are. There is simply no additional expense incurred.

And as for your suggestion that we should supplement them when they have guests you have to be joking.

peter99co 13:55 04 Feb 2010

bremner- And as for your suggestion that we should supplement them when they have guests you have to be joking.

click here

The MPs can use the rooms for free but do have to pay for any food or hospitality.

The majority of the events were receptions or dinners for causes which the MPs are on record as supporting or local party fundraising or community groups.

All on expenses?

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:03 04 Feb 2010

'Apart from feeding the family at home they also have to feed themselves when in london and for guests when the need arises'...you are really missing what is a blindingly obvious point. It matters not whether the |MPs are on Mars, Bermuda, London or at home, they still have to eat, therefore food expenses are ludicrous. I am at a complete loss trying to understand why you cannot grasp this rather simple point.

G

bremner 14:27 04 Feb 2010

Why should the taxpayer fund private dinners organised by MP's. That should come from party funds.

My comment to Buteman was in relation to

"they also have to feed themselves when in london and for guests". I read this as meaning MP's hosting guests at their London accommodation.

anchor 14:37 04 Feb 2010

Let`s not mince words; quite a lot of MP`s have fiddled their expenses.

I used to work for a large international company. A colleague had clearly fiddled his expenses and was given two options; be sacked or resign. He chose the latter.

There was no option to repay the amount he had incorrectly claimed. It would be a salutary lesson if the same applied to MP`s.

johndrew 14:46 04 Feb 2010

The "new" list of expenses will be voted upon by MPs shortly; surely they should have learned that their expenses and the authority for them should be totally outside their control.

It is also rather interesting that the report cost pretty much the same as the expenses claimed back. I have a bit of difficulty seeing how staff (probably already on a payroll) looking through expenses need paying twice or why there is a need to employ auditors when they already exist in the Civil Service.

Perhaps it was expenses claimed by the report author that increased costs!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?