MP Jailed over Expenses (about time)

Uboat 16:25 07 Jan 2011

Finally justice is served!

click here

(BTW "Marko797" Before you comment on mine & other members threads please don’t start with your ridiculous personal digs at forum members! If you don’t like what we all chat about on PCA look elsewhere! Simple!)

jakimo 16:53 07 Jan 2011

Normally I would have said 18 months was too short,but as he also has to pay high defense & court cost,and the loss of his job then the sentence is about right

PalaeoBill 16:53 07 Jan 2011

Have they made him pay the money back as well?

Diemmess 16:57 07 Jan 2011

Half thought I heard on Radio 4 lunchtime news, that he has already repaid the monies.

Woolwell 17:00 07 Jan 2011

He had already paid back more than the amount he fraudulently claimed click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:20 07 Jan 2011

'He had already paid back more than the amount he fraudulently claimed'...fantastic, so if I rob a bank of £1 million, get caught and then repay £1.1 million...then that's OK. Anyone see the slight flaw here?

G

jakimo 17:40 07 Jan 2011

The additional payment of £887 Chaytor has paid would be for lost interest on the fraud amount,which the courts are entitled to reclaim

morddwyd 17:43 07 Jan 2011

He deserves all he gets, but I wonder if the sentence would have been quite so long, bearing in mind the guilty plea, if he had not been such a high profile public figure, say an anonymous fat cat banker for instance.

spuds 17:51 07 Jan 2011

Why is it, that we constantly hear statements like "Deep and genuine remorse" or " I offer my sincere apologies", when someone is caught doing wrong?.

Why don't they just say "Look I know I have done it, I am guilty, lets get on with the process" job done?.

Saves a lot of time, expense and public inconvenience for the honourable gentlemen/women. And lets not forget banking into that?.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:08 07 Jan 2011

'but I wonder if the sentence would have been quite so long'...oh do behave, he lied, committed fraud, committed forgery, falsified accounts, stole money and abused a position of trust. IMHO he got off lightly and I'm sure that the rest of the inmates will warm to him greatly whilst he mulls over his transgressions.

G

Forum Editor 18:10 07 Jan 2011

"Why is it, that we constantly hear statements like "Deep and genuine remorse" or " I offer my sincere apologies", when someone is caught doing wrong?."

In the context of a criminal prosecution an expression of remorse will often lead to a reduction in the severity of the sentence. There's also the possibility that the person concerned does feel genuine remorse after committing a crime, although I obviously have no idea whether or not that applies in this case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?