Motown Music "Never heard of it".?

Uboat 20:55 23 Feb 2011

poor souls! just been speaking to my cousin who's 19, he didnt know what i meant when i said "Motown music is fantastic" seems he's heard of the "Odd Number" but couldnt put name to face/pic..?

waisted generation lol well not quite but its intresting i was brought up with music from way before i was born & yet the kids of today can seem to only go back 10/15 years?

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 23 Feb 2011

You have to wean them off Radio 1 onto 2 (easier now Terry's gone) before they hear anything older than this century.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 23 Feb 2011

You have to wean them off Radio 1 onto 2 (easier now Terry's gone) before they hear anything older than this century.

timsmith259 22:10 23 Feb 2011

what about Tony Blackburn

KremmenUK 07:15 24 Feb 2011

Yes - what about Tony Blackburn :D

I still like Motown stuff. There are some real classics, far better than this latest Rap stuff, with a silent 'C'

wids001 08:08 24 Feb 2011

In 1983 at Motown's 25th Anniversary bash they used the slogan "Yesterday - Today - Forever".

I think that sums up Motown to a tee. Remember, the label started back in 1959 and had their first smash in 1960 - 50 years ago. The first UK number one on Mary Wells was 46 years ago.

And yet you can still hear these classics being played on numerous UK stations any day of the week. Most certainly timeless music.

I just wonder how many of todays hits will still be played in 50 years time. I think one thing is certain though, you'll still be hearing those Motown classics in 50 years!

To coin another slogan .... Motown - The music, the magic, the memories!

Bingalau 08:37 24 Feb 2011

We will still be hearing the music of the thirties, as well as Motown music and no doubt also the music we call rubbish today, in fifty years time. There's room for all sorts of music in the world and always has been. Greensleeves will still be played alongside Frank Sinatra's version of "That's Life". There will still be Al Bowley and Bing Crosby crooning away, not forgetting Al Jolson, Dean Martin, Doris Day, Jo Stafford, the Beatles and of course the rappers of today.

By the way I haven't heard of "The Odd Number" either and I go back way beyond ten to fifteen years... Cue Brumas and Scousemouse...

Brumas 09:39 24 Feb 2011

I expect the first song you heard in your cradle was “I’m forever blowing bubbles” suitably amended when you were older to “I’m forever drinking doubles” ;o}}

canarieslover 10:45 24 Feb 2011

I totally agree that there is room, and listeners, for all genres of music, even The Odd Numbers.
click here

Bingalau 11:25 24 Feb 2011

canarieslover... It takes all sorts to make the world tick over I suppose. Variety is the spice of life they say. But I am afraid that little burst I just listened to did absolutely nothing for me, except make me realise that I have lived through the best years of music, namely the thirties, forties and fifties. After that it seems to go downhill, you can put it down to being age related. But I think that anybody listening to that type of music will be deaf before they are fifty.

Bingalau 11:28 24 Feb 2011

Didn't I read recently that "Detroit" has gone to the dogs? Factories closed and the whole place becoming like a third World country? Wasn't Detroit the home of Motown?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone