Motorway speed limit may go to 80mph

iscanut 13:01 13 Sep 2014
Answered

I see that there are talks going on again to consider increasing the motorway speed limit. Will this not increase petrol and diesel consumption. I have reduced my speed down from 70 to around 60 and the extra mpg I get is considerable. I know that many of us probably have exceeded 70mph at times but how many of you would like to see the increase introduced.

Forum Editor 13:20 13 Sep 2014

I am on one motorway or another almost every day, and in my experience 80mph has become the unofficial norm. Huge numbers of cars are business vehicles, and the drivers don't seem to care about economy - modern cars cruise easily and quietly at 80mph, so drivers go at that speed, or even more, quite routinely.

N47. 13:28 13 Sep 2014

Ditto to iscanut2

Relaxed 60mph on the motorway gives a very eeconomical 65+ mpg.

spuds 13:41 13 Sep 2014

Jeremy Clarkson and perhaps BBC Top Gear will be pleased.

I recall the days when the M1 was used as a trial and race proving ground for some very high speed vehicles. There you see it, now you don't, as the vehicle went flying past. Cannot recall any accidents through that type of high speed 'proving' either.

octal 14:06 13 Sep 2014

I would love to do 70 mph on the southern end of the M1 on the way to and from work at times, 80 mph? In your dreams. The mandatory speed limit signs to and from J9 where I come off seem permanently stuck on 60 mph almost any time of the day, more often 40 mph in busy times.

There is the other factor regarding speedo accuracy, at 74 mph indicated the actual speed is 70, at 80 it's just over 75, so at 90 indicated I would probably be doing about 85, that seems hellish fast to me. The car can do it no doubt, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with it, there's enough bad drivers on the motorway as it is.

It would be interesting to hear what the German Autobahn crash statistics on 130 km/h (81 mph) are now and if it has reduces the accident and death rate since when they were previously unrestricted.

namtas 14:48 13 Sep 2014

I am not sure if a new legal 80mph is the right move from a safety aspect as there is no doubt that an impact at 80 is going to be much different from an impact at 70mph. Also wont 90mph then become the norm and that would be lethal. I think it more important that there is a rethink to get vehicles speed aligned so that less lane changing is required. More important I feel that the law on lane dawdling needs to be policed better. On a recent 280 mile journey from Devon I lost count of the number of times that I had to move from the inside lane out to the outer lane to overtake the 60mph dawdlers driving seemingly oblivious mile after mile in the centre lane when the nearside lane was virtually empty. Statistically each lane change for a motorist is high risk move.

namtas 14:48 13 Sep 2014

I am not sure if a new legal 80mph is the right move from a safety aspect as there is no doubt that an impact at 80 is going to be much different from an impact at 70mph. Also wont 90mph then become the norm and that would be lethal. I think it more important that there is a rethink to get vehicles speed aligned so that less lane changing is required. More important I feel that the law on lane dawdling needs to be policed better. On a recent 280 mile journey from Devon I lost count of the number of times that I had to move from the inside lane out to the outer lane to overtake the 60mph dawdlers driving seemingly oblivious mile after mile in the centre lane when the nearside lane was virtually empty. Statistically each lane change for a motorist is high risk move.

namtas 14:50 13 Sep 2014

FE Would you please delete my double post ?

HondaMan 16:44 13 Sep 2014

ACPO advises that the allowance should be 10% + 2 mph which gives you 79 mph on motorways and dual carriageways. Quite honestly with cars having the performance they do even 80 mph is quite slow. I was on the M3 last Saturday and was passed by a luxury British make which had to be doing at least 110 mph. Perhaps we should all, petition the government to make the maximum speed 100 mph?

Ex plorer 18:18 13 Sep 2014

All cars are capable of 80+mph today and have far better safety features personally I don,t see a problem with rising to 80mph.

Maybe give it a trial run over a period of time.

Its the people inside the car that should be given limits and displayed on the back of there motors who break motoring laws and not allowed to drive any other car etc. than there own.

Might take some enforcing though.

Forum Editor 19:01 13 Sep 2014

"I think 80 mph would be ideal but I could see it causing problems for those that want to do 60mph just to save fuel."

Speed kills, so they say, but sometimes I think a lack of it can be very dangerous. Our motorways are packed with people who seem to have little or no idea of lane discipline, or of the need for anticipation - not only of their own manoeuvres, but of other road users'.

Time and again I see drivers leaving it far too late before changing lanes behind a slower-moving vehicle, and suddenly diving into an adjacent lane, seemingly oblivious to fast traffic coming up from behind. Then there's the centre-lane hog, poodling along at 60mph for miles and miles in defiance of new legislation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?