Motorway Route Boards - Unbreadable in the Dark

jack 09:33 05 Jan 2010

Having nentured to two airport runs afterdark in recent times- I found the large Motorway Route indicator boards unreadable - because of a altenate dark/light banding that covers the boards- is this A construction problem[metal panels distorting]?
or
A cleaning problem?
or
Frost

Which ever it is I had to navigate 2 roundsbouts
at Gatwick twice last evening to discover the route I wanted.
I also found similar problems on the M1/M25 interchange at North Watford in the past.
Any comments

bremner 09:48 05 Jan 2010

Never had any problems on either of those junctions which I have regularly transisted or with any other Motorway signs.

If there is an issue I can only guess it is a coating of frost or ice that is making the difference.

Chris the Ancient 10:44 05 Jan 2010

One possible cause of the 'banding' is in the construction of the sign. The background is a retro-reflective material that comes in rolls and is self-adhesive. That is applied as the background with other information applied - also from self-adhesive material. Finally a protective coat is applied.

OK, perhaps the background was applied, off the roll, in alternating directions; thus giving slightly different reflective characteristics. But I can't imagine why that makes the sign virtually unreadable.

One extremely vague possibility... were you in a car with toughened (rather than laminated) windscreen because they polarise light reflections slightly? I can only visualise some form of polarisation causing that effect. And I don't think that frost would do that.

CtA

jack 12:10 05 Jan 2010

That may explain some thing or nothing at all

I have mailed Highways Agency with much the same as my post.
I will pass on any comment I recieve

Clapton is God 13:40 05 Jan 2010

Did you have your headlights on at the time? I find them very useful after dark.

peter99co 14:07 05 Jan 2010

I wonder if the banding is beacause the panels have been fitted in opposite directions during contruction and like a mowed lawn reflect light differently.

jack 14:12 05 Jan 2010

Do I detect a tongue in cheekiness here CiG?
Though I do see your point.
The answer is affermative.
I found the flashing of mainbeam at them as I approached help - at risk of annoying those in front of course.

PalaeoBill 15:08 05 Jan 2010

Perhaps its your butter, have you tried using something sticky like honey or cutting the slices more thinly :-)

jack 15:56 05 Jan 2010

Didn't get that one
Explain
Some form of Jurrasic jest perhaps? ;-}

peter99co 16:18 05 Jan 2010

Unbreadable in the Dark?

jack 19:52 05 Jan 2010

OOOH I see you are casting nasturtions at my tryping

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone