Most economical speed for a VW

MrBen CI:-) 11:36 02 Nov 2007

My Mother has a VW Polo 1.4 CL Automatic.
But what is the most economical speed to drive to get the maximum out of a tank of fuel?
And what would the difference be from say
travelling at 70?

Sadly VW seem not to want to tell her this data.

Clapton is God 11:49 02 Nov 2007
  Belatucadrus 11:57 02 Nov 2007
  WhiteTruckMan 12:29 02 Nov 2007

while still staying in top gear, assuming its not a CVT. Were it a manual, I would add the caveat of not labouring the engine.

But just as important is the care and condition of the car, such as tyre pressures, tracking, binding brakes when the engine last had a service/oil change etc.

Then theres driving styles, which is a jumbo sized can of worms in its own right...

WTM

interzone55 12:35 02 Nov 2007

I would assume that the lower the revs, the less fuel is used, so traveling at the minimum speed possible in top gear would give the best balance between progress and fuel use, this is why official fuel consumption figures are usually stated for 56mph, which is about the lowest speed most cars will do in fifth without giving a choppy ride.

Is that a diesel? If so I reckon it will give about 60mpg on average if driven carefully on motorways at 70mph, around town you should get about 50mpg.

I used to average 70mpg in my Skoda Fabia 1.4 diesel when I used to travel 80 miles per day on mainly quiet A roads at about 50 mph average

jimv7 13:15 02 Nov 2007

From the ads I remember, 4 knots.......

Totally-braindead 14:03 02 Nov 2007

Anyone see Clarkson from Top Gear doing a trip from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank of fuel? From what was said the thing was to keep the revs low and get into top gear and keep it there at the lowest revs you can.

What did surprise me was the effect on the mpg that using the heater etc made, it could drop as much as 5 mpg off the economy which I thought was remarkable.

Quickbeam 15:03 02 Nov 2007

Too many variables to give a set answer, but the other advice given will all help.

I do around 200 miles a day at an average speed of 20mph & get a consistent 46mpg out of an VW 1.9 diesel... that for me is as good as I can get it.

Also do your fuel consumption figures over a complete month, not per tank, it then averages out any daily inconsistencies, stuck in traffic, in a hurry & running late, etc...

Stuartli 18:43 02 Nov 2007

>>I do around 200 miles a day at an average speed of 20mph & get a consistent 46mpg out of an VW 1.9 diesel...>>

You should get at least double that considering your average speed..:-)

Stuartli 18:46 02 Nov 2007

I have a 1.6 16v petrol engine in my VW Bora (which is no lightweight product) and on a 245 mile run using motorways and A roads got a 40.9mpg average.

oresome 19:07 02 Nov 2007

As Quickbeam's journeys illustrate, the speed you would like to travel at is often immaterial.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of motorway signs that say something like "Junction 10, 20 miles, 18 minutes".............in your dreams much of the time,.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?