More government red tape for property owners...

realist 19:04 10 Jun 2008

...From October 2008 all vendors are required by law to provide an Energy Performance Certificate.

And landlords too, on first letting or re-letting a property.

As if these pieces of paper are going to make the slightest measurable difference to climate change or "carbon footprints" so-called.

In any case, it is hardly the time to be imposing yet more administrative burdens on the the UK property sector. No doubt it all derives from some EU directive or other.

Job creation scheme for energy performance assessors maybe?

oresome 19:12 10 Jun 2008

Well if the piece of paper doesn't do the job, I'm sure the sharp increases in energy costs will get people thinking about improving their houses energy efficiency.

Bingalau 19:17 10 Jun 2008

I was issued with one (Energy Performance Certificate) a couple of weeks ago when I had my central heating boiler renewed for free by those nice people Stay Warm. They are coming back on Thursday to install cavity wall insulation also for free. I think I might buy a lottery ticket next weekend.

georgemac © 20:28 10 Jun 2008

Increases in energy costs will indeed focus people's minds, and I am glad that there is help out there for the elderly as posted by Bingalau - many pensioners must really be struggling with energy bills even with the increased winter fuel allowance. We are still an energy rich nation and people should not be struggling to heat their homes.

I have already done all that is cost effective with loft insulation, all our exterior walls are also insulated, and fully double glazed.

Only things left for us would be installation of a newer more efficient boiler, or solar panels, ground source heating definitely too much upheaval - also all these are high outlay items, and not sure how many years it would take to recoup the costs. Also think there will be further advances in energy efficient glazing.

Hoping that the government ensures that all new build homes must be made as energy efficient as possible, this perhaps would lead to prices dropping on all the above?

I don't think the piece of paper will make much difference, but at least new buyers will be made aware of how energy efficient the home they are considering buying is.

€dstowe 22:09 10 Jun 2008

A bit off subject but a few weeks ago I was sent two low energy light bulbs by my electricity supplier (Southern Electric). I hadn't asked for them and expected a bill but none came. This morning I received another two bulbs just as before.

bluto1 22:28 10 Jun 2008

I pay my utility bills by Direct Debit and my last Bank statement shows £75.00 monthly paying for oil for central heating and £43.00 per month for electricity.
These two commodities are going to cost £105.00 and £53.00 per month from the middle of this month.
Is it all worth it?

Woolwell 22:50 10 Jun 2008

Bingalau - I hope that they did a proper survey of your cavity walls and checked that they were suitable. click here

georgemac © It depends on they type of solar panels but it can take many years to recoup the costs and regrettably are often not cost effective.

Woolwell 22:56 10 Jun 2008

realist

I think that the bit that is important in your post is "all vendors". EPC's are already a compulsory part of a HIP. If you speak to an estate agent you will be told that most buyers are not interested.

oresome 23:00 10 Jun 2008

I regularly get cold callers offering cavity wall insulation.

I explain that the entire estate is of timber frame construction with a brick outer wall and that the cavity must be left as a cavity.

Without exception they thank me for the information and then proceed to the next house in the street and continue with their sales pitch.

Forum Editor 23:02 10 Jun 2008

are going to make the slightest measurable difference to climate change or "carbon footprints" so-called."

Well that's exactly what they're going to do. They'll do it because the more energy-efficient a building is, the less it will cost to run, because less energy will be needed. Low-energy buildings will become muuch more desirable, and therefore saleable, as energy costs rise inexorably.

I'm sure you can work the rest out for yourself.

Chegs ®™ 00:50 11 Jun 2008

Years ago,the house I was renting was in a poor state of repair.I had just the one open fire for my heating/hot water and there wasnt a door within the whole house that was the correct size(2" gap at top & bottom)The windows were all timber framed single glazing and all were warped.I frequently would sleep on the sofa with the fire banked right up(dangerous as hell)and I hung curtains over the doors but in windy conditions all the curtains would billow out,and regularly pull the curtain rails/hooks off.During one particularly cold winters night,I was so cold I was unable to sleep so I went for a long drive in my car.Landlords with this kind of property would be made to either upgrade the energy efficiency of the property or be refused permission to rent.The cost to landlords will simply be added to the rents charged,and I'm pretty sure there will be landlords who still wont upgrade the property but continue to rent it out.

"Low-energy buildings will become muuch more desirable, and therefore saleable, as energy costs rise inexorably."

Was on the evening news,the housing market is at its lowest for 30 years,estate agents are struggling to sell 1 house per week so an Energy Performance Certificate wont make much difference in the present economy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?