In a month's timeI'll be able to track you down

Forum Editor 11:19 07 Sep 2007

via Google if you have a FaceBook account. FaceBook is going to open up its membership listing to the search engines and unless you opt out your face will be visible to anyone.

The public search listing will show the thumbnail picture of a Facebook member from their profile page as well as links allowing people to interact with them.

click here

Now who could possibly object to that?

Seth Haniel 11:21 07 Sep 2007

I heard you had to give a DNA sample to get a page at facebook too :)

Clapton is God 11:28 07 Sep 2007

As the father of two daughter, both of whom are avid FaceBook users, I'm not at all sure that I'm happy about this.

I don't want their photos and/or 'profiles' to be available to every bloody weirdo in the world.

Forum Editor 11:32 07 Sep 2007

may be about to shoot itself in the foot. Time will tell.

interzone55 12:41 07 Sep 2007

This would be way I steer well clear of all these type of sites.

interzone55 12:47 07 Sep 2007

Do you get the IP address of posts? If so you can already track us down...

Except my IP seems to terminate somewhere in Switerland, which is odd as all my web-traffic goes via our corporate servers in Denver, Colorado

g0slp 12:52 07 Sep 2007

Surely this is something that you should have to 'opt-in', not 'opt-out'?

Just my £0.02 -worth

Forum Editor 12:57 07 Sep 2007

I can see your IP address each time you login, but I wouldn't dream of trying to track anyone down in that way. It's illegal for an internet service provider to disclose the personal details behind an allocated IP address, except to a properly authorised agency, such as the Police, and then only when required to do so by a court.

PalaeoBill 13:58 07 Sep 2007

In the privacy tab of facebook you can control who can see your profile. Most of the people I know have already restricted access to members of their own network (their University) or to members of other University/College networks. This removes their profile from a Google search.

interzone55 14:07 07 Sep 2007

Sorry I was only joking, echoing your sinister post title.

I know you, and most other people, wouldn't dream of tracking us down via our IP address, mainly because it would be a fool's errand.

techie4me 14:10 07 Sep 2007

It an invasion of my privacy & an abuse of my Rights under the European Human Rights Act.

Oh & i dont have a facebook account either.

Bah humbug to you all;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?