Monster grass snake

Quickbeam 10:12 11 Aug 2010

Most snakes are quite rare to find in this country,I've only ever seen 3 in all my life of having been in the countryside most days.

But this morning my cocker bitch that can find the only nest of mice in a ten acre field found a grass snake that was at least 1.5/ 2 metres long! My dog just stood and barked at it, until it just slithered of and disappeared from sight within yard of being seen.

Has anyone known them to get that long?

Snakes R us click here

johndrew 10:48 11 Aug 2010

They can grow up to around 2 metres click here with the female often being longer than the male. Perhaps you saw a fully grown female.

johndrew 10:51 11 Aug 2010

Apparently they may be even longer than I thought click here. How good this data is I'm not certain but it may have some evidence to back it up.

Quickbeam 10:59 11 Aug 2010

Yes, I think it was a fully grown female. I never realised that they grew so big!

Covergirl 12:03 11 Aug 2010

My last encounter with two of these was about 6 weeks ago - unfortunately they were both in roughly the same 10yd stretch of street and they had both suffered RTAs.

Quickbeam 12:21 11 Aug 2010

I wonder how old it be be at that length?

sunnystaines 13:06 11 Aug 2010

seem,s to be quiet a few round here they only seem to come out on sunny days, no seen any long ones but the ones round here are more brownish black with nice diamond patterns, they are very timid and slither away quickly.

johndrew 15:40 11 Aug 2010

Diamond patterns!!!!

Like this click here

Or does this help click here

john bunyan 16:30 11 Aug 2010

Your grass snakes sound more like adders, of which I have often seen females up to 24" or so. I was bitten by a small (9") grass snake last year whilst cleaning out a compost bin...

sunnystaines 18:12 11 Aug 2010

your second link is better, hard to say a mix between the two, the they are near water might be the grass snake, saw the slow worm pic on the link not seen one since i was a schoolboy used to catch them on hounslow heath.

Forum Editor 18:19 11 Aug 2010

in the rubbish heap at the bottom of my garden. I don't visit that part of the garden that often, and was amazed to see a fully grown female going full tilt back into the depths of the heap as I approached. She had obviously been sunbathing, and I startled her. She wasn't 2 metres long - I would estimate just over a metre. Snakes can often look bigger than they really are.

Later that month I saw two or three much smaller snakes, which I took to be her babies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017