Money to burn?

peter99co 19:58 07 Dec 2010

US treasury stockpiles billions in flawed $100 bills

click here

Officials are working to devise a mechanical process to sort the flawed bills. Doing so by hand would take up to 30 years

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:10 07 Dec 2010

'A snag in the printing process left up to 30% of the notes with a blank patch on the face'...does it really matter that a bit of fizzog is AWOL or am I missing teh obvious?

G

morddwyd 21:16 07 Dec 2010

Surely easier, and more cost effective, to simply destroy the whole batch and print some more?

interzone55 09:37 08 Dec 2010

"does it really matter that a bit of fizzog is AWOL or am I missing teh obvious?"

I have a feeling that the missing part is one of the new security features, so it's probably quite important the that notes, when issued, have all the security features in place...

peter99co 10:58 08 Dec 2010

Issued to the 100's of banks in the USA they could soon weed out the duds. Especially if they were on a sale and return basis. Unless it was a case of to many bankers spoil the dosh.

interzone55 11:38 08 Dec 2010

Not sure that would be practical. Sending them out to banks would increase the danger of flawed notes hitting the streets.

I don't think it would be that difficult for someone to construct a scanner that can rapidly detect the flaw, after all they have machines that shine lights through hens eggs to detect any that have been fertilised, and they can scan thousands of eggs a minute.

Mind you they have 1.1 billion notes to scan, so it'll still take a while

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?