Is the modern motorist pampered?.

Cymro. 16:05 30 May 2008

There are two posts on the forum today that make me wonder what has happened to the motorists of today.
The first is a posting about jump starting a car click here. co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=326800&forumid=16 and the other is about fog lights click here now I know the world has moved on but in me younger days every motorist knew what fog lights were for, and how to jump start a car.

So whats going on then? is the modern motorist less technically able than of late or perhaps with modern cars they have been pampered by modern technology?

Cymro. 16:08 30 May 2008

The first link does not seem to work but never mind I am sure you will know what I am getting at.

Quickbeam 16:11 30 May 2008

I like how cars have developed in the last 30/40 years, but you can't mend them with a basic set of spanners anymore.

To counteract this I have this month put a '79 Suzuki motorbike on the road after a winter rebuild, great fun... just like the old days:)

Stuartli 16:15 30 May 2008

Modern cars are a completely different kettle of fish to your Morris Minor and similar basic, easy to work on vehicles.

Many faults are gleaned through diagnostic software rather than a mechanic relying on his experience of common faults.

bstb3 16:23 30 May 2008

Its both. When I learnt to drive (only 17 or so years ago) both my father and driving instructor made it a point to teach me all the basics that one could comfortably carry out with a modern car. Not only is it useful in emergencies but it gives a better knowledge of what is going on at the end of your foot and hands.

I helped out a neighbours youth only a few months ago with a flat tyre - not a clue how to change it, all he new was how to call for help.

Nowadays it seems that all you have to do is be able to turn a key and everything else happens for you. No wonder a lot of people these days give the impression of not being able to find their rear with both hands. Almost always now they dont have to, theres a machine waiting to do it for them...

Cymro. 16:34 30 May 2008

Could there be in some way be a similarity between motorists of old and some of you computer buffs who were in at the beginning of the home computer becoming a hobby.

You bath had to know how the thing worked not just how to work it? There must be millions of people who are computer operators and drivers but have no idea what goes on under the bonnet or the keyboard.

Cymro. 16:35 30 May 2008

for bath read both

interzone55 16:49 30 May 2008

"I helped out a neighbours youth only a few months ago with a flat tyre - not a clue how to change it, all he new was how to call for help."

In a lot of cases most people opt for calling for help instead of figuring it out for themselves.

The other day a customer rang me for tech support on setting up a camera. The call went something like this:

Custard: I need some tech support on an Axis 207W
Me: Ok how far have you got
Custard: Well, I've just opened the box
Me: So you've not tried anything yet
Custard: No
Me: Well in the box is a CD, there's a manual and installation guide on there, read it...

BT 16:53 30 May 2008

When my son worked for a well known office equipment store, a woman came in one day wanting to know why the keyboard she had bought the previous day hadn't got an instruction manual, and could she have one!

Bapou 17:55 30 May 2008

My first car back in 1956 had a starting handle. Great for starting her up and saving the battery in the cold cold winter.

Buying my second, was not amused to find starting handles were a thing of the past. There were a few mornings when I cursed it's absence, having to bump start the thing.

These days I don't mind being a pampered motorist at all.

Stuartli 18:07 30 May 2008

Your second car probably had an alternator rather than a dynamo...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?