Model release forms

  exdragon 14:36 10 Sep 2007

My granddaughter, a registered child minder and nanny (properly CRB checked etc) wants to take photos of the children she works with, to put together a folio so she could, for example, show it to prospective employers. She just wants photos of the kids playing, as they grow older, or being out and about with her - that sort of thing.

I suggested she gets some sort of written agreement from the parents, and have looked at the model release forms. However, they look a bit heavy handed for what she may need. Do you think it'd be sufficient to put together a form which states something along the lines of: I ......., parent/guardian of ............., give permission for photographs to be taken by.......... for the purpose of ..........

or would that be opening a can of worms?

  €dstowe 14:48 10 Sep 2007

Be very careful. Modern views and attitudes can bring on some strange interpretations of what is and is not acceptable when photographing children and some of the most innocent of pictures are seen by some warped minds as being indecent and the photographer is hauled up before the beak.

Remember some years ago when some TV personality was "done" because the pictures of her kids in the bath were reported to the police by some busybody jobsworth in Boots photo processing department. That's just one example brought to our notice because the person concerned was well known but, it's happening all the time.

Steer clear.

Part of my business involves taking pictures for commercial purpose. I make damned sure that all the people I use (adults and especially children) are professional models, with an agent and full legal release documents.

  Jak_1 14:57 10 Sep 2007

They are essential as your granddaughter will be using the pictures for commeercial gain. They are designed to protect both model and photographer and prove copyright. As a freelanc photographer I would not be without them! A friend of mine found the value of them when some of his pictures were digitally altered using photoshop! I can not divulge what aalterations were made but the law was involved and he was able, by providing original pictures, computer records and model release forms that someone else had altered them.

  Jak_1 15:03 10 Sep 2007

If you want modl release forms then look here:

click here

  exdragon 15:45 10 Sep 2007

Thanks for the replies. She won't be selling the pictures for gain, just building up an album to show what she's been doing, I guess. She won't be printing them herself - no computer, printer or the skills to use Photoshop.

I had a look at the model release forms, but as I said, I thought they looked a bit 'over the top' for what she wanted.

I thought there would be some photographers out there who would have some comments - thanks

  €dstowe 15:52 10 Sep 2007

The point is that nowadays there are so many people with warped minds who can see evil in just about anything (example the jobsworth at Boots mentioned above) that it doesn't really matter whether the pictures are for gain or not. Bear in mind also that you can "Photoshop" any picture - it's not necessary to have the originals.

  exdragon 16:03 10 Sep 2007

Oh well, bang goes that idea! Thanks, all

  Forum Editor 08:02 11 Sep 2007

is that legally your grand-daughter doesn't need anyone's permission to take the photographs, provided she doesn't publish any information with the images that could in any way personally identify the children. She will own copyright in the images, and nobody can prevent her from publishing them, unless they can demonstrate to a court that they represent an invasion of privacy. It's exactly the same situation that might prevail if, for instance a photographer took a picture of a group of people on an aircraft, or a ferry ship - it happens all the time.

Having said all that, this is an issue that is peppered with potential problems, not the least of which is the loss of goodwill that might result from any subsequent disputes with parents. In the circumstances it might be wiser to use stock, generic images of children at play - there are thousands of them availble on the inernet.

  Simsy 09:59 11 Sep 2007

a potential employer of a childminder I'd be more interested in qualifications, (including first aid), and recomendations and references, than photographs.

I'm not sure how much is to be gained by attempting to put together the portfolio being considered?



  wee eddie 10:21 11 Sep 2007

She has had advice from the local Chamber of Commerce or Business Start-up Adviser.

Unless I'm very much mistaken their advice would be to create promotional leaflets and or Booklets for potential Clients.

Unfortunately "Stock Shots" of Children at Play are not doing it in the surroundings that you are offering. A difficult conundrum.

I think that I would take some pictures, place them on a board, in house, asking which parents thought were most suitable for the booklet and any that weren't and request permission by signature from a Parent of all the Kids involved.

  norrisf 11:43 11 Sep 2007

Just ask the parents permision. You will not need a model release form as, from what you have said, she will not be selling the pictures.

I am the director of a design company which produces promotional brochures etc, and used to be the Art Director of a magazine not a million miles away from this forum. My kids were always in the magazine and so were other peoples, they would always cheekily ask for a modelling fee, but no one ever said no.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?